? about lighting for a 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilly_mae21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the market for a new lighting for my 55 gal.
We just have the plain jane ones that come when you buy the tank(we bought ours off or cl 2yrs ago, have changed lights but husband handled that). We never knew lighting would be a big big deal with plants. We have one of the hood things that is broke(where you lift or feeding and to clean). We would love to get a new set up to help our plants.
I did look on the fishneedit.com site. We thought we needed a 4bulb set but from reading some of the threads, sounds a little too much. Would a 2bulb be better or some other kind of 3bulb? Also my husband loves the look of the blue light for at night viewing. is there a good light that also has that??
We are trying to stay under $150 if that helps.

Thanks

I would stick with a 2 bulb unit unless you plan on going high tech with a steady diet of ferts and co2 injection. You can get little LED moonlights to run at night from somewhere like Ebay pretty cheap. You can get them built in to a fixture, but you'll pay way more than what a fishneedit fixture would cost I'd say.

Agreed, a 2x54w t5ho fixture is more than enough for that tank, and happens to be one of the most common sizes, which keeps the price low. Look into those LED rope lights for a cheap way around paying a premium for LED moonlights.

Thanks for the quick answers.
I saw the lights you can pick to order with it. What would be my best set up to get?

You want either 6500k or 10,000k bulbs. I have 4 fishneedit fixtures, two with 10,000k's and two with 6500k's. I like the look of the 10,000k's much better than the 6500k's, though I'm going to be putting a 6500k in each of my fixtures to see if there's any improvement.

Basically, it boils down to what you want. The 6500k's are a little yellowish, while the 10,000k's are bright white.

why do they let you pick a blue or pink also?? Do those colors do anything for the plants? Should I do one of the color with a 10,000kwhite? or both white?
Sorry, very new to the lighting part.

Blue is actinic. That's only good for saltwater... or if you want to accent, but that would be 54w less light for the plants. I think the pink bulbs from them are roseate bulbs, which are supposed to be for plants, but I've never used them.

I know this isn't really recommended, but I bought a 48'' T-5HO 4 bulb fixture with moonlights from amazon for 115$. It runs great, this fixture actually comes with 2x 10,000k bulbs and 2 actinics, therefore it's not actually the light given out by 4x bulbs, but for 2x 12,000k bulbs. Actinics also give a blue color to your tank, which you stated your husband likes. Here's the link, check it out, but be warned that this is a no-brand fixture, meaning no warranty or anything.

Amazon.com: New 48" 216W T5 Aquarium Light Fixture Reef Fish Tank Light: Home & Garden

What about t8 shop light from Walmart? Will those work on a 55?
It's running in 2 48inch bulb. The bulb r daylight. I think 65k

thank you all so much. I showed my husband all the posts on here. He went and picked out this one that Shadowstars123 picked.

I know this isn't really recommended, but I bought a 48'' T-5HO 4 bulb fixture with moonlights from amazon for 115$. It runs great, this fixture actually comes with 2x 10,000k bulbs and 2 actinics, therefore it's not actually the light given out by 4x bulbs, but for 2x 12,000k bulbs. Actinics also give a blue color to your tank, which you stated your husband likes. Here's the link, check it out, but be warned that this is a no-brand fixture, meaning no warranty or anything.

Amazon.com: New 48" 216W T5 Aquarium Light Fixture Reef Fish Tank Light: Home & Garden

What about t8 shop light from Walmart? Will those work on a 55?
It's running in 2 48inch bulb. The bulb r daylight. I think 65k

I won't even say that they'll work, lol. I've tried using a few of the "lights of america" lights from wally and out of 4, only 1 has made it longer than a month. The ones I got didn't have any bulbs included.

I'd spend the $20 and get a shop light from HD or lowes, those work just fine.

As far as growing plants goes, it will have you in the really low light area, depending on if you rig up a good reflector or not.

lilly_mae21 said:
thank you all so much. I showed my husband all the posts on here. He went and picked out this one that Shadowstars123 picked.

I'm glad you came to a decision. Best of luck with your tank

Back
Top Bottom