? about my pleco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
My pleco always hides in a cave area of my tank. I seem to remember as a kid having one and it would always suck on the side of the glass. What's going on? Is it just maybe that when I was a kid it didn't have a good hiding spot, so it would go to the glass? I would really like to see my pleco more.

Well, it is quite normal. How long have you had your pleco? When they get used to the tank they will start cruising around the tank more. But they are more active at night.
Do you feed him algae tabs or wafers? If you it during the day time, and lay it in an open area, he may come out, mine did when I had them. Other then that they hid as well.

same thing about my cat fish, i just bought it and its constantly hiding, never saw him, is it sick? what's going on.?!?! i think its scared or my shrimp, should i buy the other fish in the same tank as him at the lfs

If you don't already have some...driftwood, large enough to be elevated properly and the pleco can get under is a fascinating view. The pleco will "think" he's hidden, all the while, you are able to view him.

For an example, check out Cliff pics in my gallery...most taken while "hidden" under the wood.

:D

I don't have driftwood, but not sure it would even go w/my tank set up. I feed shrimp pellets, and he sometimes will scoot out briefly, but then scoots right back under the hiding area. I can see he's there, but just can't view very well. He hides under there, along with my clown loach who occasionally will come out (more then the pleco who NEVER comes out) and lately I have 1 female platy who loves to hide out there as well. Pretty soon my whole tank will all be in hiding, lol.

Back
Top Bottom