??? about snail tanks (which plants) and is my tank too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning to move my pond snails breeders from their current black plastic garbage can to something like a 6 gallon eclipse. The snails were not doing so well in the garbage can even though I had bubblers, sponge filters, and crush coral. I am thinking that the snails will do much better with plants and light (to clean the water). My question is what plants so I use. I want cheap plants that do not need to be rooted and that will grow as fast as possible in the low light of eclipse flourescent (so that they use up as much nitrates as possible). Also it would be nice if it was a plant that stayed in once piece, unlike java moss which tends to break off into pieces and gets sucked up in the syphon.

Also, how hot is too hot for pond snails. The ambient temp is getting pretty hot these days, I am expecting tank tank temps in the high 80's. Will this kill the snails?

Would crushed coral make good bio material? I was thinking of replacing the filter cartridge in the eclipse with a bunch of crushed coral. Would the coral also act as bio material?

from my personal experiance cabomba grows pretty fast with low light no ferts. 80s should be fine for snails, pond snails arnt as tough as MTS (those fuggers have survived all my attempts to kill them including tank water of 110*F) but high 80s shouldn't be that bad assuming all other water parts are good (no salt or copper in the tank)

Back
Top Bottom