About to start a 70 gallon community tank. Any ideas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorknight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Presently own a 20 gallon community tank that is working out great. About to acquire a 70 gallon tank from the in-laws. Leaning toward a planted tank (zero experience with plants) with a community of fish. Any tips/tricks/ideas on systems for the plants, types of fish, amounts of fish, and/or types of plants???

Planted takes are the best in my opinion. And 70 gallons gives you a ton of options. I'm starting back up a 55G myself and have a thread on here from a couple days ago if you'd like to browse it and look at some of my fish lists and quantities

I have a 70 up and running as well, if you have experience with these fish I would add discus, they love plants

Planted aquariums are great, its adds another layer to your tank.

Things you need to consider, how much you want to spend, high tech or low, style of planted tank, fish you wish to keep, substrate, lighting, filter, c02 or not, how much maintenance you want to do, species of plants you love or hate, and are you willing to research more then ever.

Once you have a general idea of what you want we can better help with other things.

A quality led setup is highly recommended, as it saves money in the end and doesn't create heat that is unwanted and looks great. I suggest finnex. Substrate can be tricky, I use safetsorb which is cheap clay substrate which work amazing for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome advice thus far! I shall begin my research and when I have some ideas I will revisit the post. Tank should arrive next week. So the research shall begin! I'm not in a rush to get fish into it, but is there any downfall in starting with the plants then adding in fish after it get established or is that actually the preferred method??

Fish coming later is only going g to make it easier on them.

I would also suggest getting some.easy growing plants as well as fast growing plants to start.

Fast growing plant, rotala rotundifolia, and Asian ambulia.

Easy plants. Java ferns, anubius.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom