? About trigger fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatdaddy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone im thinking about getting a trigger fish for my tank would be the only fish in it aside from a star fish , urchin , snail& hermit i guess my ?'s are what are my absolute need to knows as well as do's& don't about this fish tank is 180 gal wall tank has live sand and rock only

Fatdaddy82 said:
Hey everyone im thinking about getting a trigger fish for my tank would be the only fish in it aside from a star fish , urchin , snail& hermit i guess my ?'s are what are my absolute need to knows as well as do's& don't about this fish tank is 180 gal wall tank has live sand and rock only

For triggers you need to feed him maybe 3 times because if not fed they will be mad and try to eat other things in the tank. What you don't do is put him in a tank with hermits maybe small ones but it will go after the big ones. I had a bluejaw trigger with a cleaner shrimp and doesn't bother it at all. But it might go after the big hermits.

Damarferg said:
For triggers you need to feed him maybe 3 times because if not fed they will be mad and try to eat other things in the tank. What you don't do is put him in a tank with hermits maybe small ones but it will go after the big ones. I had a bluejaw trigger with a cleaner shrimp and doesn't bother it at all. But it might go after the big hermits.

Triggers arent going to get "mad" if you dont feed them 3 times daily. Ive owned several triggers and currently have a niger trigger. What ive noticed is that theres two separate styles of triggers. The first being the mouth-forward triggers (picasso, assassi, humu rectangle, etc) they tend to be a lil more aggressive and problematic. They will almost certainly go after and annihilate any small inverts. Then theres the mouth-up triggers (blue throat, niger, cross hatch) theae ones are usually more docile (for triggers) and there is a chance that they may coexist peacefully with inverts. I personally have a nas. Snail thats made it every bit of a year. I also had an emerald crab but he unfortunately didnt make it. So if you are going to attempt one, id stick with mouth-up. Also keep in mind that triggers are designed to find small fish/inverts and eat them. They have strong jaws and a powerful bite that can crush hard shells. They have also learned the cool ability of shooting lil water jets to flip over urchins or rocks.

Back
Top Bottom