AC 110 Motor Rattling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did a wc on my African tank tonight, cleaned the filters and ever since I started it back up one of the filters started rattling. It's slowly going to drive me insane. It's working but I need to make this rattle stop! Anybody have some troubleshooting tips? It's definitely coming from the motor.... Please tell me I don't need to buy another one!!??

Last edited:
Just open up the motor and clean it out. Probably have a piece of rock, sand, or magnet chip inside.

You can remove it from the bottom of the filter where the cord meets the filter. It's just held in by pressure and an o-ring. Pop it out and then you can remove the impeller and clean it out.

Actually scratch part of what I said. I'm not quite sure on the AC how its held in but you should be able to remove it either way. Sorry.

I think Dino had the same problem with his and couldn't figure it out, then one day he did. You.should ask him, plus I agree on taking it all apart and cleaning.

I did pull everything out & clean it... But I don't know if that black box part comes off, ill get it off the tank again in the morning & see.

Not sure if its the same but its the only AC I've ever had. It's a AC20 and if you twist the motor to the side it just pops right out

Well it somehow corrected itself over night. Still gonna take it apart I think, I've never cleaned the motor so I should probably do that. I cleaned everything else though. I'm afraid to mess with it because I don't wanna drop another $90 on a filter lol

When you open it up you'd be amazed at the simplicity to a aquarium pump. A lot of time when you hear that rattling the pieces lodged in the housing will rattle out eventually but it does usually cause some damage and scraping to the magnet which can lead to a permanent buzzing sound. New impellers are pretty cheap though and readilly available so you wouldn't need to invest in a whole new filter.

When you open it up you'd be amazed at the simplicity to a aquarium pump. A lot of time when you hear that rattling the pieces lodged in the housing will rattle out eventually but it does usually cause some damage and scraping to the magnet which can lead to a permanent buzzing sound. New impellers are pretty cheap though and readilly available so you wouldn't need to invest in a whole new filter.

Good deal! Last night I stuck my fingers in where the impeller was to feel around and bent it a little so I just left it one, it was late & I didn't want to break it (of course my OCD was like "great, you bent it, now it's broke" haha) I can't wait to get my sump going. Even then the AC's & canister will still be in use but if one fails I won't have a freak out lol.

I run a HOB every foot on my FW tanks so that I never have issues like that lol.

I run a HOB every foot on my FW tanks so that I never have issues like that lol.

I reallllllly wanna add a 3rd AC 110, love the flow!!! But this month hasn't been too kind to me so money is tight :/ I've contemplated puttin my Fluval 306 on the African tank, but I realllllly wanna use it on my salt. Would a sump + the 306 be overkill on my 75g sw??

I wouldn't use a canister on a sw tank. Requires more maintenance then its worth imo.

I wouldn't use a canister on a sw tank. Requires more maintenance then its worth imo.

Reeeeally... The dude at the lfs is telling me I should... Well I'm building a new sump because the one I have is SMALL. I'm pretty sure it's way too small. I am going to silicone it together tonight but ill post a thread about it since we are getting a little off topic in this one :)

To remove motor, rotate 1/4 revolution and motor will unhook from clear plastic body. You can replacement motors.

Back
Top Bottom