AC 50 rattling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I moved my 20L sw QT tank into my room so I could keep a closer eye on fish in it. Last week I moved my fw 20L up, and the only difference in equipment is the heater. They both have AC50's, but for some reason the sw AC50 rattles as bad if not worse than my TopFin 30. I have tried cleaning the impeller, restarting the filter, and cleaning the motor area to no avail.
I also tried running with no media to see if that did anything, and it still rattled.

Any ideas as to whats up and how to fix this?

I really don't want to buy another AC50, but if I don't have any other options I will. That or I'll get a comparable filter.

Sometimes the impellers can be the issue?
If it is not too much trouble try swapping the impellers and see if that makes a difference.

I'll have to try that after dinner. I was doing a little reading and I might try Vaseline on it too.

Flipped impellers and it was still rattling. I ended up using some Vaseline on it, and its as quiet as a mouse. I'll post back here on how long this fix lasts for.

It could be the impeller or the impeller shaft.
I had an AC50 that was silent and a I bought a second one and it was insanely loud. I swapped the impellers and ended up with two pretty quiet AC50s. Not silent but far better than it was.
Edit: Oooops...I just saw that you flipped impellers.
Perhaps remove the impeller shaft and reseat it?
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How do I remove the impeller shaft? I figured out the impeller, but it didn't seem like the shaft came out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use a pair of needle nose pliers. Cover the "teeth" of the pliers with cloth so you don't scratch the smooth surface of the metal shaft (in case you plan on using it again).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Vaseline...FAIL

It is rattling again, but not as bad. If all else fails the tank is banished to the basement again.

I have a Fluval C 4 and sometimes the lid rattles. I just need to move it a little and it stops . May be the same thing for you? Just a suggestion .

Seems better now, but I can definitely hear it still. This is after removing the lid

Some thoughts, did you check if everything on the loud filter tank is level including the filter? Also you can get replacement parts for every part of the AC filters. I know because I have ordered just about all of them. Impeller shafts cover can be replaced. I'd try contacting the company and see what they say. Everytime I've contacted Fluval they have been very helpful. One time I purchased a Fluval spec III and it was missing an integral part so I went on their website and sent an email with a pic of the part I needed circled on the instructions. Granted they sent the wrong part the first time due to a miscommunication, they did send the correct part in the end and they sent it really quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll check the level when I wake up. I would do it now, but don't want to wake up the new tang or newish GBRs with lights. If that doesn't work new impeller is getting ordered via Amazon. Hopefully that resolves this issue because the Vaseline definitely didn't.

Checked the level and its all good. for giggles and grins I tried flipping the impellers and now have 2 noisy AC50s even after switching the impellers back. It was looking like a motor issue on the sw ac50 because it didn't matter which impeller I tried, but now that both are making noise I don't know what is wrong.

No chipped blades on impellar?
Did you pull the rubber cap on both ends and re install or did they stay in place?

Just a tidbit of info, when you order new motors they don't come with impellers. A motor and impeller together cost almost as much as a new AC50. I have a bunch that I was given that are missing various parts usually motor and impeller and yeah I am kinda frustrated with the prices of the replacement parts.

Ok there is a plate on one end(blade end) an there should be a rubber boot holding the shaft in the motor.
When you switched impellars did you remove the shaft also?

Maybe it just needed wear in time because its quieter now. I had it running on the DT for a few weeks though so idk.

The replacement parts are insanely expensive, almost not worth buying expensive

If you do want a brand new motor I have the right size in unopened packages. I would contact Fluval though before you buy a new one. They may offer you a coupon or voucher for money off.

This filter is getting replaced. Rattle went away for a little bit, but I broke the tank down for a 100% clean. 2 days after setting it back up filter still rattles and isn't showing signs of stopping. It was nice not having this tank running for a few days, nice and quiet in my room

Back
Top Bottom