Acclimated freshwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
+1... I wouldn't wish those little demons on anybody's tank after trying to catch mine for a month lol

Neither would i. But hey, theyr cheap as dirt lol

They're cheap for a reason lol. You can get nice sw fish for cheap. 6 line wrasse for like $20 in my area. Same for firefish. It can be done without putting hundreds into just the fish.

BallinCrew10 said:
They're cheap for a reason lol. You can get nice sw fish for cheap. 6 line wrasse for like $20 in my area. Same for firefish. It can be done without putting hundreds into just the fish.

In iowa fish arent really that cheap... i can go to petco but they look terrible, my buddy has a lfs but his prices are a little high. The really nice places have nice fish but at a much much higher prices.

Well, unfortunately, if you want to stock your saltwater tank, it comes down to this. You can either put money into fish that are supposed to live in saltwater, or you can slowly torture and kill freshwater fish.
I get not wanting to drop $50 on a fish. But if the compromise is buying one healthy SW fish now, and then having to wait a couple months to get another, it will be much more rewarding than buying one $2 fish after another because they keep dying.

MacDracor said:
Well, unfortunately, if you want to stock your saltwater tank, it comes down to this. You can either put money into fish that are supposed to live in saltwater, or you can slowly torture and kill freshwater fish.
I get not wanting to drop $50 on a fish. But if the compromise is buying one healthy SW fish now, and then having to wait a couple months to get another, it will be much more rewarding than buying one $2 fish after another because they keep dying.

Well i guess the fan club for acclimation is low. I didnt think it was so bad. Brackish fish are close to marine but i guess ill deal with a big tank and only a pair of clowns be the main reason i wanted a cheap fish is because im afraid my fish have taken the whole tank for themselves...

You might try craigslist or a local forum for fish, is there a local club? Two clowns isn't that bad of an idea in a 55 gallon tank. You might not be able to put any really peaceful fish in it now. BTW clowns are a damsel.

Clown fish are a damsel? Mayb that's why the two clowns I have are best friends with my chroomie and blue damsel. There's manyyy cheap saltwater fish in the hobby. I go to my reef store and there's at least 10 tanks with fish in there for under $20.

EriksFish315 said:
Clown fish are a damsel? Mayb that's why the two clowns I have are best friends with my chroomie and blue damsel. There's manyyy cheap saltwater fish in the hobby. I go to my reef store and there's at least 10 tanks with fish in there for under $20.

U live in a good area. Iowa isnt the best place to have sw tanks.

Why how much are fish in your area? It shouldn't be that much of a price difference and if it is the business is price gauging.

EriksFish315 said:
Why how much are fish in your area? It shouldn't be that much of a price difference and if it is the business is price gauging.

Yellow tang $50, dwarf angels $30+, lionfish $40+, damsels and chromies $5.99+, not super high but i see people that can get these for half that. The high end stores in my area are double that but they are really really nice.

Travis55 said:
Yellow tang $50, dwarf angels $30+, lionfish $40+, damsels and chromies $5.99+, not super high but i see people that can get these for half that. The high end stores in my area are double that but they are really really nice.

Well considering your tank couldnt keep a tang, or lion, who cares? Your totally missing all the cheaper fish, like gobies, dartfish, firefish, and cardinals

MacDracor said:
I know... and it totally violates my no people food rule. I justify that one because it is not processed in any way, just selectively propagated to produce more crop over the centuries.
Still, for *most* fish, I'd hazard a bet that there are better foods than lettuce, celery, etc. I feel like I'm being preachy now... I don't mean to.

This is the best part. Vegetables aren't just people food. Those little pest coming up to the garden...

Gboy66 said:
Well considering your tank couldnt keep a tang, or lion, who cares? Your totally missing all the cheaper fish, like gobies, dartfish, firefish, and cardinals

U can definitely keep a dwarf lion in a 55. They require 30 gal. And my lfs has a couple gobies. No firefish and cardinals are like $25 and id need to get a pair...

Travis55 said:
U can definitely keep a dwarf lion in a 55. They require 30 gal. And my lfs has a couple gobies. No firefish and cardinals are like $25 and id need to get a pair...

They require 50-60 at the very very least.

Why would you need a pair?

Travis55 said:
So theres no aggression to other fish.

You dont need a pair of firefish, or a pair of cardinals. One of each is perfectly fine. They are peaceful fish for the most part

A dwarf lion gets about the size of a softball. I would feel strange with a fish that size in such a small tank.

Yeah I would get a nice cube tank for a lion fish and just for him I've always liked the way they looked.

Back
Top Bottom