Acclimating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be doing a 2 hour drip acclimate for my new cerith and nassarius snails...

But how do I make sure the temperature of the water in the bag stays the same over the 2 hours? Surely the temp. will go down?

Do you have a sump? If so, you can float the bag in an open part of your sump, and drip down to it from your main. That way, temp will stay the same. If not, you could use a heater pre-set to heat to the temp of your tank. That gets a little tricky though, since all you have to work with at the start is the water from the LFS. Let us know, HTH

I bought the smallest heater possible for this reason, and it fits perfectly in the 5 gal bucket I use to acclimate. Just make sure to get a submersible kind, otherwise it's a real PITA sitting there for 2 hours holding the heater (I know from experience) :wink:

Just make sure that the heater is pre-set to the right temp... all you'd need to do is stick it in, and plug it in. Nothing else needed. I float it in the sump so I don't have to worry about any of it. :wink:

I don't have a container to put the snails in, so they'll just be acclimating in the shipping bag...

Also I dont have a spare heater :p

I was thinking more along the lines of stopping the drip every 30 mins and floating the bag in my tank for 5 mins, then resuming the drip? Total time for acclimate 2 hours. What does anyone think - would this help keep the temp up?

Alternatively, I guess if I could find a way to float the bag in my tank AND do the drip into the bag at the same time, that would solve the problem?

Hang a specimen container in the tank, put the bag in the container, open it and have the drip setup above the tank.

Back
Top Bottom