ACFs + Firebellied toads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 ACFs, 2 Fire bellied newts and in January my friend is giving me his 20 gallon long which contains a fire bellied newt, 3 fire bellied toads, and an ACF. My first question is if anyone thinks it would be unwise for me to add the new ACF to my tank of ACFs? After quarantine of course. I wonder if they'd be territorial with him, or if he'd be horrified by the new tankmates.
My second question is whether or not having firebellied newts in the same tank as the firebellied toads is wise.

Finally, I'd like to have the 20 gallon long filled with 6 inches of water, and then on top of the water I want to have half of the tank as a land platform for the toads. I want the entire bottom of the tank to be water though, so does anyone know how I could make the land area while allowing for the area beneath it to be open water?

Personally I'm surprised your newts haven't lost a leg yet..... MY african clawed frogs were absolutely vicious to anything else in the tank, especially during their feeding frenzy. As long as the frogs can't fit each other in each other's mouths I think you'll be fine. That being said, they really should be in a species only tank... But thats just my opinion
closeupfrogtest.JPG

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9957&cat=500&ppuser=5938
Aaron

Kornchild is pretty accurate on this one. owning herps as well as fish for many years now, i have learned one absolute rule for frogs. they can and will eat anything they fit in their mouth, including other frogs.
i had a pair of ACF's i had adopted from another family, until one of them decided the others leg looked tasty... her back leg.... that was over 5 inches long at the time. he had her leg in his mouth when i found them, and i got it out, but he had already broken her back from thrashing her around the tank and she died. :(

yikes, that doesn't sound fun. Right now I dont have the toads yet, but I knew my friend probably shouldn't be keeping everything together in one tank. My frogs are in a species only tank and my newts are with corys so they're all safe. When I get my friend's tank I'll put his newt with my newt, his frog with my frogs, and I'll let the toads have the 20 gallon to themselves. Unless... what animals could be in the 20 gallon long with the 3 fire-bellied toads?

Back
Top Bottom