Acrylic vs Glass Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlederer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just thought I’d compare glass vs acrylic tanks as I’ve had both but got rid of all but one glass tank; I have 18 acrylic ones. Here’s why:
Acrylic tanks are half the weight of glass, transmit 22% more light, are 17 times as strong as glass, have no metal frames, and can easily be drilled. Downsides of acrylic: they are more expensive and a bit harder to clean because the top is not totally open for structural reasons. They do scratch if you are not careful cleaning them but scratches are easily buffed out.
Be sure I am talking about quality acrylic tanks, not the cheap department store plastic tanks.

Never see acrylic tanks for sale In my area. If I were ever able to convince my wife to let me buy a Gi-normous Tank, 200 plus Gal. I certainly would consider acrylic.

I've always had glass tanks. I like the low price. Light transmission and strength have never been an issue to me. I like the black plastic rims on the top and bottom of glass tanks. But the most important reason for glass is scratch resistance. With acrylic I'd be so afraid of scratching the tank whether on the inside or out. And I can't stand scratches or cloudy water.

I’ve had one 90 gallon acrylic tank for 30 years. You’d have to examine it with a magnifying glass to see the minor scratches in it. The issue of scratching an acrylic tank is exaggerated; it’s really a very minor issue.
But glass tanks are a lot cheaper, for sure.

I have pebbles coming out of my tap with insane amounts of calcium. I am scraping it off my glass aquariums daily. I'd like to try acrylic but not sure if that would work with constant razor blading.

Back
Top Bottom