Acrylic vs. Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JryanM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning a RCS/ snail tank and had a couple different options for the tank to use.
Does anyone have experience with acrylic tanks? Which would be better for this application? Thanks!

JryanM said:
I am planning a RCS/ snail tank and had a couple different options for the tank to use.
Does anyone have experience with acrylic tanks? Which would be better for this application? Thanks!

Go with glass, I have a small acrylic tank and was never happy with with. Didn't seem as clear as my glass tanks and it shows every little scuff mark. But this was a cheap desktop aquarium that I got from a big chain store.

I used to have an acrylic and they scratch really easily. And as has already been mentioned, they show everything, so really it doesn't have to be that scratched to look really messy. Glass is better IMO in terms of looks

Acrylic is also much stronger than glass, shatter wise.

Hmm then idk! Guess I'll look more into the pros and cons
Thanks guys!

Both have their ups and downs

Glass is durable but only 78% clear

Acrylic scratches but can be repaired and is 98% clear

Do you have a source for this? Just curious, as it doesn't seem quite right.

If clarity is what you are worried about, you can look for low iron glass (3M's industry trade name for it is Starphire Glass). For such a small application, a tank with starphire glass would not necessarily break the bank depending on your budget. I have several small low iron glass tanks and I love them.

A few places sell them via mail order: Green Leaf Aquariums, Aqua Forrest Aquarium (ADA tanks), and glasscages.com all sell them on their websites.

fort384 said:
Do you have a source for this? Just curious, as it doesn't seem quite right.

If clarity is what you are worried about, you can look for low iron glass (3M's industry trade name for it is Starphire Glass). For such a small application, a tank with starphire glass would not necessarily break the bank depending on your budget. I have several small low iron glass tanks and I love them.

A few places sell them via mail order: Green Leaf Aquariums, Aqua Forrest Aquarium (ADA tanks), and glasscages.com all sell them on their websites.

You may laugh but The show Tanked I would think they know their glass

But yes starphire glass is amazing and I would go that route every time if the budget allows

My favorites are the low iron rimless glass tanks. They look great, but they evaporate faster ;)

I have a 5g acrylic Bowfront
A 5.5g cheap glass tank
A 10g cheap glass tank
( all with mini CFLs)
A rimless SeaStar 10g with an expensive Archaea LED Fixture and an Eheim Canister with custom Lily Pipes to keep the tank pretty.

All my pics are mostly my $15 10g because the scape is looking good LOL. My rimless is still a hodgepodge mess ;)

Pick what you can afford and create beauty :D

Gotta say the green leaf aquarium rimless 91-B looks awesome!

fort384 said:
I have one... It is :)

Sweet!:) what kind of light and filter do you have on it?
Would a marineland single bright or double bright be good for a low light planted shrimp tank on this tank?

Back
Top Bottom