activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emorrison33

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have found varying opinions on the use of activated carbon in reef aquariums. What is the genral concensus on this site? Should I or shouldn't I? I will of course be using supplements and use Instant Ocean salt mix.

What is the genral concensus on this site?
There isn't one. Many people (myself included) use carbon occasionally. I use it about 1 week per month or less often. If I notice a tint to the water I'll add carbon for a week. Since I've been throwing a poly-filter in the sump compartment I haven't seen the need for the carbon. I replace that filter monthly.

What kind of supplements will you be using and WHY? The general rule is "If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!"

I will be using Coral-Vite, but I only test for Calcium. I could not find a test for Strontium at my LFS, or other trace elements except for Iodine. My calcium level was at 300 mg/L this morning, which is too low.

Unless you have a huge bioload that is consuming the calcium, regular salt water changes should put it where it should be. IF you cannot find the test kits locally, I would be ordering them. Additives should not be used without testing. What is in the tank that you are adding coral vite?

I run Chemi-Pure pretty much all of the time. Two important things with any reef carbon is to change it on a regular basis and rinse it with RO/DI water, not tap, if possible prior to adding fresh carbon to the tank. Heed the advice on reef suppliments. They are really just a waste of money, especially if you are doing regular water changes.

I only have some live rock at the moment, but will be adding corals later on. I purchased Sea-Gel from Seachem, but I have not used it yet. The Skilter 250 I am using came with floss media and carbon media. I will wait to change them once the tank is cycled.

I would be extra careful adding things with a 20 gallon tank. The smaller the tank, the easier to get things out of whack. Regular water changes will do alot more good for you.
As for the carbon, I run it one week of the month.

I haven't added anything yet, but I am concerned about my calcium level. I performed a 5% water change a couple of days ago, but don't want to change alot of water because the tank is still cycling. I think I'll go with the one week a month plan. Should I still use the floss media in the skilter? or just scrap it?

I would not change any water until the cycle is complete. Use the floss if you have particles floating around.

Also I use coral vite also but if I was you I would not add it to your tank with just LR in it. I put it in mine but I also have dozens of corals in there. Always put less than what it calls for when you do go with corals. But I definiely agree with hara that right now water changes will do more for you than anything else. Save the supplementsfor later when you have many corals

Back
Top Bottom