ADA Aquasoil and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have had this 10 gallon planted tank setup for well over 3 weeks and it has an established hob filter from a different tank and i have added water from another tank many times and lots of water changes. the ammonia is around .50 ppm. my question is, is it safe to add some fish and shrimps in (wild green neon tetras, gold cardinal tetras, and some yellow shrimps)?

I think that ADA substrate is fairly notorious for causing ammonia spikes during the first month or two.
If it were me, I'd wait until things stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that ADA substrate is fairly notorious for causing ammonia spikes during the first month or two.
If it were me, I'd wait until things stabilized.

ok thanks but i actually am in a rush I'm leaving for vacation soon and my fish can't stay in a bucket forever :(

Well... I'm not sure what to say. The bucket might be safer than the ammonia rich aquarium.

Well... I'm not sure what to say. The bucket might be safer than the ammonia rich aquarium.

yea i guess i have heard people add fish when they have 2 ppm ammonia but i wanted to ask this community if its safe to add fish when its .50 ppm. it actually went down from 8 ppm quite fast. but thanks for the help ill just keep em in the bucket i guess. any other people who would like to say anything please do so

I wouldn't with the ammonia at .50, ammonia is highly toxic to fish, it can drop your fish like flies. When I was cycling my tank I had an ammonia reading of .25 and was doing daily 50% water changes until it got to 0. I was lucky, I didn't lose a fish.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Back
Top Bottom