Add new fish after unknown disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moshi78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I recently posted about fish dying off one by one with really no signs of disease. Water parameters were great.. I lost 7 fish in a matter of two weeks. The last fish died about two weeks ago. seven fish survived. One of the survivors didnt eat for a week and recently started eating again. He is also not as shy as he was previously. I have 8 fish in quarantine in a 10g they have been in there for a couple months as I didn't want to add them to the 75g where the fish were dying. How long should i wait to be sure the 75g is safe to add the new fish. Was never able to diagnose what was killing the fish. The remaining seven all seem normal and eat well. Any ideas? Thank you so much everyone.

If it helps I initially had 6 rummies and 8 cardinals in a 75g. I have in qt. 6 green rasboras and 2 apisto cauc's. The ph in both tanks is 7.5. I generally acclimate for two to three hours. Water is around 80 degrees. Never any ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates are always under 10. Thanks!

I would do bi weekly water changes for a few weeks (around a month?) just to clear the tank of anything left and watch for any signs of any infections or disease then add them in

Ok thanks. I will do another month. Does anyone else think I should wait longer, or is four weeks about the right time to make sure there's no diseases? Thanks

Just noticed that one of my cardinal tetras has a dark spot greenish maybe blackish just past his gill its almost like scale discoloration? Any ideas? Looks like another spot on his body as well with the scale discoloration? Wonder if this is the problem. Thanks

Hello Mos...

This hobby is 100 percent about maintaining tank water that's treated to remove chlorine and chloramine, that's free of dissolved fish and plant wastes (nitrogen) and performing large, weekly water changes that keep the oxygen level high.

If you fail in any of these parts of tank keeping, your fish won't survive. I suggest a review of your maintenance routine and if it needs to be changed to one like the above, then do this before you replace your fish.

Adding individual stems of a floating plant will help steady the water chemistry between water changes. Hornwort, Anacharis, Pennywort and Water sprite are good.

If you keep to a sound water keeping system, your fish will be fine.

B

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I do 30% water changes every five to six days. I monitor everything. I keep plenty of live plants..Just trying to,diagnose what is going on. Very possible I got a bad batch with a slow acting disease. I always quarantine for minimum 4 weeks. More,than a few fish died with no signs other than a couple of isolating themselves for a day and then death.

And not to mention my 75gallon is way understocked. I have 5 cardinals and 2 rummies. So I'm certain water chemistry is not the issue. Thanks again for the reply.

You might want to treat both tanks for parasites in the meanwhile just in case.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom