Added 10 cleaner shrimp today (cool pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, they get big. Mine are about 3" and 2".

My question is do you get bulk discounts when you buy 10 at a time? :)

With as much as I spent on corals this month, I am starting to get the bulk discount. :)

Brenden, that is indeed a pretty cool pic! I don't have any cleaner shrimp. I have one CBS and five peppermints. Should (or could) I also add a cleaner?

That is up to you. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with peppermints or cleaners. Have heard several complaints on a CBS though. I also added 10 peppermints today but they went into the rocks. You Can't tell good from the pic but the convict is actually laying down on the rock wanting the shrimp to get on him. 5 of them where in a cave together earlier. It was like a car wash. A fish would go in and stop and they would go at it.

Haven't had a bit of a problem with my CBS. He was in my first group of residents, in the cleaner crew. Has never bothered anyone, and has quite the personality, always coming out to be hand-fed.

Funny about the peppermints, mine did the same thing....I was wondering if they'd all perished. But now at feeding time they're right there, going at it with the whole crew. They do still stay pretty much hidden most of the time though.

But I think I meant to ask: would all these shrimp get along together, including the cleaner?

I do not have a CBS so I can not say on its behalf. My peppermints and cleaners get along fine so far. When the peppermints were put in the tank one held onto the net. I reached in to remove it with my hand. It started cleaning my hand and would not quit. I finally had to firmly shake it off. I have heard of peppermints doing this but had never seen it in person.

Very common behavior for Peps to hide and not be seen for weeks at a time. As for CBS I have heard varying reports. I have a CBS, Pepermints and cleaners and all get along just fine. I suspect the CBS may have done in a camelback some time ago though. I have seen the CBS chase others away as they tend to be territorial. If your tank is big enough I think they are all fine together and it has worked for me now for some time witout incident.

Brenden said:
I do not have a CBS so I can not say on its behalf. My peppermints and cleaners get along fine so far. When the peppermints were put in the tank one held onto the net. I reached in to remove it with my hand. It started cleaning my hand and would not quit. I finally had to firmly shake it off. I have heard of peppermints doing this but had never seen it in person.

Haha mine does the same thing, he cracks me up! Sometimes I have to stick a suction cup that came loose or adjust something in my tank and he jumps right on my hand and starts pickin away.

I had a CBS he was the first shrimp in my tank but was taken out rather quickly when it started messing with my 2 cleaner shrimp. It was an easy decision losing a $6.99 CBS or a $24.99 cleaner

Back
Top Bottom