Added Java moss late in fishless cycle, will it alter the process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artifact

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently fishless cycling a 6 gallon tank, I'm at the point where ammonia is processing properly within 12 hours and I'm adding ammonia daily to keep it above 0. The Nitrites have gone off the readable level (5ppm), I'm waiting for them to process to finish the cycle, and I've been keeping track of the Nitrates as well. Yesterday morning, my nitrates were over 40 ppm. The Java moss I ordered arrived and I added it to my tank that evening, as I read it's okay to add plants during this process. The Nitrates are now almost gone about 12 hours later (From 40ppm to less than 5ppm). Nitrites are unchanged.

I know nitrate removal is important, but I wasn't expecting the moss to make such a big difference, I thought a water change was was all that would do something so drastic. Will this have any negative impact on my cycle? I know nitrates serve as a way to see that the cycling is occurring, but do they serve a purpose in the part of the cycle I'm waiting for? (Nitrites to drop to zero like the ammonia does daily)

Last edited:
Plants can make a big difference. It can make people crazy cause the ammonia drops but 0 nitrates. Watch it for a bit more time and see if it holds steady.

Back
Top Bottom