Added new fish, since then problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsmcgee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I had a platy in my tank, he was doing fine but I wanted to added some more friends for him. Since then I've been having trouble.

I have a 10 gallon, cycled bacteria, snail cleaning crew, ph is 7.0, no nitrates.

One platy is dominant. He nips at the existing platy and has been stressing him out. Since then I've separated them but my existing platy is still stressed.

He has also been showing other symptoms. Sitting at the bottom lethargically, floating to the top and sitting lifelessly in the corner, clamped fins and exhibits flashing behavior. He darts irritably and then stops and sits.

I've also noticed when the excess food rots it forms a funguslike growth. I've since then did a water change, gravel vacuum and added salt. I do my best to pick out the food. Is there a medication I should use? I feel like all the stress may have caused an infection. He has been acting like this for two weeks now. Tried all the basic stuff but I might need to start investing something else. My gravel is also questionable. Some money sucking aquarium store told me it was required to maintain bacteria but I feel like it's hard to keep clean and makes a mess of bad bacteria. Just a hunch. I also have a feeling I need to get a different type of food to keep things easier to clean.

The two other fish are fine, the separation causes similar stress to the dominant fish but he has recovered. Just the original guy. Suggestions?

:fish2:

If you have a 0 reading on nitrates then your tank is definitely not cycled. There will always be a residual amount of nitrates in the water that are nearly impossible to get rid of.

How did you go about cycling the tank? What are you using to test your water? Also, what are your ammonia / nitrite levels? How often are you doing water changes? How often and how much are you feeding?

Hazarding a guess I would think that increased levels of ammonia in the water are the main issue with your fish atm, especially if there is rotting food in the tank. If there is enough food left over in the tank to rot then I would suggest that you reduce the amount you are feeding asap. Following that I would do a minimum 50% water change, wait an hour or 2, and then do another 50% water change.

I agree, with zero nitrates, either the test was bad, our the tank has not cycled ever. Ammonia build up is most likely the culprit as to the new lethargic behavior of the fish. Add prime to detoxify the ammonia, and don't add any more fish for now.

You are now doing a fish in cycle. Congratulations on the fun time ahead of you! You are in for daily pwc and possibly more dead fish.

You have another option If you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank, try and convince then to share some well used filter media to rapidly cycle your tank.
Please post your progress and any questions, and we will gladly give our two cents on things that you should do.

Years ago, my first tank was a fish in cycle! I loved it and it got me going on the hobby and reading which i find invaluable!

NO2-.5
NO3- 20

I just changed the water yesterday and the day before and cleaned all the gunk out. The first sign of stress a week or two ago I did this. There is no possibility of this still being the problem except for the fish being freaked out by all of this. Point being my water quality is good but my fish is not. Before I got these fish the original fish was fine with my cleaning habits.

I try to change water every two weeks but now it's every week if not more. I have been fasting them and diligent about post feeding cleanup. I would feed twice a day but now I'm down to once.

NO2-.5
NO3- 20

I just changed the water yesterday and the day before and cleaned all the gunk out. The first sign of stress a week or two ago I did this. There is no possibility of this still being the problem except for the fish being freaked out by all of this. Point being my water quality is good but my fish is not. Before I got these fish the original fish was fine with my cleaning habits.

I try to change water every two weeks but now it's every week if not more. I have been fasting them and diligent about post feeding cleanup. I would feed twice a day but now I'm down to once.

Unfortunately if you are registering nitrites your tank is not cycled. Have you tested for ammonia? What is that reading? Sorry I don't recall seeing the ammonia reading mentioned. It is possible that the addtion of the new fish was an overload on the existing BB you had. Most of us do weekly water changes of at least 50% with a good gravel vacuuming on our cycled tanks. It may take your fish some time to recover if the water quality suffered for awhile before the problem was seen. I would continue testing with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & do at least a 50% water change if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25.

EDIT: It is also possible that new fish brought in a disease which could also be part of the problem. Were the new fish QT'd for any length of time?

Back
Top Bottom