Added sand yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Added the rinsed sand to my tank yesterday. And while almost all of it is at the bottom of the tank a lot of it has balled up with air bubbles in it. When I turn the filter on the sand bubbles start floating around. So I quickly turned my filter off so it doesn't get ruined. Is this normal? And will they go away on their own and settle or is there something I need to be doing?

Okay thanks! I've never used sand before. I added a picture. They sand bubbles are just hanging out at the bottom. They need to go away! Will my cycle be stalled because the filter has to be off? I had it running for a few days before I added the sand

Attachments

• image-2027723010.jpg
    image-2027723010.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 81
Okay thanks! I've never used sand before. I added a picture. They sand bubbles are just hanging out at the bottom. They need to go away! Will my cycle be stalled because the filter has to be off? I had it running for a few days before I added the sand
Get a large piece of clean plastic and gently rack the sand. This will release the trapped air. It may take a few goes and can be a pain in the **** but best to do it now. Just curious, did you add the sand with the water in already??

Us the tank was little less than half full and I added it. I wasn't sure what the best was was. It settled almost immediately with the exception if a tiny but at the top. I scooped the sand that was floating out. But now I have these bubbles. Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a try

Us the tank was little less than half full and I added it. I wasn't sure what the best was was. It settled almost immediately with the exception if a tiny but at the top. I scooped the sand that was floating out. But now I have these bubbles. Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a try
Yeah, just be gentle, it will limit the sand from stirring up too much. Expect some slight clouding. When the sand settles, you can switch back on the filter. Add some filter floss to the filter and it will clear the clouding in no time.....

Did you rinse your sand ? Cuz if you rinse til its clear it only takes a few hours to clear

Yes I rinsed it. The water is actually not cloudy at all. I was surprised. I got most of the bubbles out using a plastic cup and pushing them out. It made some of the sand float to the surface again, but I just scooped it out. The filter is running again! And haven't had any trouble so far

Back
Top Bottom