Adding a pleco need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 bow with a male red zebra, female aratus, and male birchardi. They have been very well established into my tank and have been alone for years. I need to add a pleco to get rid of some algae but im worried that the pleco i want is going to get killed. Its about 5in long u guys think it will be alright?

Never add a pleco to get rid of the algae. You add more waste to the tank, and they don't really do a good job of removing algae. Your best bet is just to reduce lighting and scrub the algae off yourself.

rocksor said:
Never add a pleco to get rid of the algae. You add more waste to the tank, and they don't really do a good job of removing algae. Your best bet is just to reduce lighting and scrub the algae off yourself.

2nd this pleco isnt the cleaner everyone believes they are.

I keep plecos in all my tanks and they've always done a FABULOUS job of keeping the algae to a minimum!
I think it'll be fine. Make sure it's got a hiding spot. Maybe a pleco cave or something.

I rarely use biological control for algae. A bristle nose pleco would be the biggest pleco I would use. I keep plecos simply because they look cool.

I have a Pleco in each of 4 tanks (20-55) and they do a great job clearing algae. Large ones can't clinge to the sides of the tank like small ones can. Introducing a new fish to a long term stable community of fish is always risky. Your introduced Pleco may do fine or may not.

I would re-scape the tank than add. For best results I would remove all fish currently in the tank, re-scape than add pleco, than add the rest. Hope this helps

Never found a Pleco that can remove as much algae as I can, only reason I have a Pleco is because I like them.

I agree never add a fish to solve a problem, chances are your lights are the wrong spectrum and need to be replaced, the lights are on to long or there is to much excess nutrients in the tank. If you feel you need to add something to combat algae add nerite snails, they work wonders.

I have a large cichlid tank with large African and South Americans I've added two Plecos at different times each about five inches and had no problems they won't go after Plecos because Plecos are too heavily armoured to attack one they would probably injure themselves.

My bn pleco cleared a 20 gal tank covered in algae in one night. I mean covered. You could hardly see through the glass. I have always had plecos in my tanks and they have done a great job controllimg algae.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom