Adding a second filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This was suggested at my LFS. Currently have a bio wheel, thinking of adding a canister. Has anyone tried this? Benefits?

Heavily planted, bordering on overstocked fish wise, especially given future growth of fish.

Thanks!

Rule basically is can never over filter, just if its messing up anything. So to much flow rate, or something else then usually pick one over the other. But if you can use 2 filters why not.

This was suggested at my LFS. Currently have a bio wheel, thinking of adding a canister. Has anyone tried this? Benefits?

Heavily planted, bordering on overstocked fish wise, especially given future growth of fish.

Thanks!

Running two canisters and a now left over internal. Now if I clean one canister and stuff it up or it stops, etc, then there is still a healthy bb in the other one. Yeah, much happier with the two. I'm not aware of any downside except increased flow I guess (if that could be an issue).

The internal I just use to play around with different media types now to try and polish the water better.

Tank Filtration

Thanks!

Hello Ev...

Check the gallon per hour rating (gph) of your current filter. If it's at least 4 times the volume of your tank in gallons, then you have enough filtration. Canister filters are complex and more expensive then standard filtration. They don't do much more than standard filters. However, if you have a larger tank and don't mind spending roughly three times the money of a standard filter, then this might be the way to go.

Honesty, if you keep the water pure with a good water change routine, your tank inhabitants will be fine with the standard power filter.

B

I'm with Delapool on this one for the same reasons. I have a canister as main filter with an HOB as a helper. Works great. Crystal clear water & no gunk. OS.

I have been running 2 hob filters on my 55 for years. Keeps my water really clean. On Friday I picked up a canister filter for cheap which will eventually replace the 2 job filters when my other 55 is ready to be setup until then I have all 3 running on the same 55 so I can instant cycle the new tank

If you do get a canister make sure the hose valves above the canister (to turn off to remove canister for cleaning) are easy access and work readily.

Also I can understand having a heater in the canister but IMO a UV unit is a waste of space. I'm not against UV units but think they should be a separate unit designed for a flow rate to match the UV light.

Thanks!

If your looking at getting a canister the sunsun canister work well and are fairly priced compared to other canisters. I have 2 sunsun canisters and a marineland 350 biowheel filter with the biowheels removed on my 75 gallon and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom