Adding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah, I think you did the right thing. It could just be stress from the new tank. You tank is beautiful btw.

Awesome tank and your discus is so pretty!

I don't have any discus knowledge to share, but I'm commenting so that I can come back to this and the links later... I'm thinking about a discus tank after my 55 gal I'm building is done.

Got home from work and he is still the same. Until I come in the room, then he perks up and swims around with the other two. I havent seen him poo yet today but I will keep and eye out. Also his fin is clear again and he isn't twitching it as much as he did yesterday when he would use it.

What other signs are there for parasites?

Oh ya I believe he is eating, but he spits things out after he eats it... Im going to try blood worm tonight. He seemed to like the shrimp but after that this started...

The photo of him didnt really show the shape he was in... I also just noticed this on the fin of my leopard one and I dont think it was there before...also it looks like there is a hair stuck on my blue discus. Should I catch him and remove it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130610_194427.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130610_194427.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 94
  • ForumRunner_20130610_194445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130610_194445.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20130610_194507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130610_194507.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20130610_194521.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130610_194521.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 83
I have discus and one would not eat so I put him in a ten gallon with aquarium salt and some medicine from pet shop didn't help ?then I bought an r.o system for 100 $ and he got better in two weeks and now I also have great water to drink only 2 ppm in ro 150@ in tap

There is no need for a ro/di system with discus. All its basically does is remove the buffer in the water. This in turns makes your ph unstable. It will take a lot less to impact the water as drastically ad if you had normal tap water. Also farm raised fish are very adaptable.. A stable ph is much more important than a perfect ph.

But I may have figured it out... Ammonia poisoning... I test my levels last night and my ammonia was at .6mg/l... So I did a 50% water change added prime and what not. I also removed the bristlenose plecos all the babies and my two apistos. They had the one sponge so now it should be able to take over for the extra ammonia...
But I tested today and it was at 0... Now I added prime last night at 12:00 and tested today at 5ish. Would it still have been neutralized?

But it could also be a parasite or something so im going to keep with the heat and salt for two weeks and do daily checks! I feel like a noob!

I have discus and one would not eat so I put him in a ten gallon with aquarium salt and some medicine from pet shop didn't help ?de12then I bought an r.o system for 100 $ and he got better in two weeks and now I also have great water to drink only 2 ppm in ro 150@ in tap

How long have you had you discus with your ro?

I've had an ro/di system since having my discus and my ph has never been unstable. I use it in all of my tanks. I'm on well water. My tds is astronomical without ro/di

I've had an ro/di system since having my discus and my ph has never been unstable. I use it in all of my tanks. I'm on well water. My tds is astronomical without ro/di

Not unstable as in it will jump all over the place. If a little bit if acid got into your tank your ph will be impacted more because there is less buffer to hold it there.

Not unstable as in it will jump all over the place. If a little bit if acid got into your tank your ph will be impacted more because there is less buffer to hold it there.

gotcha. that makes sense. I try to closely monitor any changes in all of my tanks to try and catch problems.

oh boy, just came home to a tank full of dead fish. I lost a discus but I still have two. all of the other fish (neons, corys, botias) are dead. the heater got turned all the way up somehow. it was 96 degrees!!

my PB looks fine, but i'm a little concerned about my blue. When I fed them, neither one seemed interested at all in their food, and they are healthy eaters normally :(

Back
Top Bottom