120 Gallon African Cichlid Tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if this will be a build thread but here goes. I currently have two tanks. 1 is a 40B tropical aquarium. The other a 55 gallon standard tropical. So I really love the African Cichlids and wanted to get into it. I just went out and purchased a 120 gallon tank and am starting from scratch with it. Will be setting it up this week and welcome all comments and suggestions. Like with anything I do I got excited and went ahead and purchased a portion of my stock . I currently have them in the 55 gallon and moved most of its inhabitants to my 40 gallon which made that very over crowed but only temporarily. Here is what I have so far.

I purchased (from drs foster and smith) 120 pds of Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates Zack Black. 2 Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO
900 PRO power heads. 1 Jager Thermostat Heater 250w. 1 bottle of Malawi/Victoria Buffer 1.2 KG. 1 Watercolors Aquarium background black. I have two emperor 400 filters for it. (plan on purchasing a fluval fx6 cannister but have already spent a ton on this so waiting a month for that one. I have a set of Cichlid stones (10 piece ) as well as 5 Cichlid caves. one medium sized piece of Texas holey rock and one very large piece of Driftwood as the centerpiece. I know the driftwood isnt reccomended for cichlid tanks but this piece was too perfect not to use as the centerpiece. That being said I'll monitor the water and if it is too much of a drag on my PH I will remove it. I have several nice pieces of slate rock that I am going to play with at set up to try and make a couple nice caves with an over hang. I also collected some rocks from my backyard that I am going to be using as well as took a couple glass vases and siliconed some ornamental (all glass ) beads on them to make a couple interesting caves with. I have no idea yet how all this will look in the aquarium and I am sure I will experiment with several varieties.

I expect my order to come in tomorrow so my off day (Thursday ) I will begin putting this all together. The first hurdel I have is the 55 gallon is currently sitting where I plan on putting the 120. so thursday I will attempt to move the 55 to its new spot in the next room and slide the 120 into place. From there get the back ground and substrate down and begin getting the pieces in place and filling the aquarium with water.

Any advice or experience on moving an aquarium (stocked obviously) is appreciated as well as tips on how to use my current aquariums to seed and cyled the new one. I will take pics of all this and post as I go along if there is any interest.

Current stock awaiting its new home

4 Yellow labs (2 to 4 inches)
4 Red Top Zebra
3 Electric blue johanni
3 yellow tail Acei
3 Auratus
4 Red Zebra
1 baby common Pleco (also have a baby bristlenose and rubber lip that I have considered adding one or both of)
I also have three small peacocks and one small hap that are in there too. The peacocks and Haps ( I cant remember the name ) are currently bigger than the Mbuna but all reach a maximum size of 7 inches or less.

Last edited:
So if I read it right you have 26 fish waiting to transfer to the 120gal? I don't think I would add anymore. That should allow everyone to grow without having to rehome due to over crowding.

If you have floss filters I would use those for your new tank. Should really give it a kick start on the tank. You could also do a water change on the smaller tank and dump the water into the 120 gal. Let it cycle for a few days and you can start moving fish over. I would probably move 6 at a time every 2 days.

So if I read it right you have 26 fish waiting to transfer to the 120gal? I don't think I would add anymore. That should allow everyone to grow without having to rehome due to over crowding.

yes that is correct. I have read with these guys it is best to add all your stock at once. I am thinking thats an awful lot at one time though.

I do have some floss filters so Ill use that. Never thought of using the water though if that will help I will definitely do that. Do you think adding six at a time will make them more likely to be more aggressive due to claiming there territory in the new tank before everyone arrives?

pictures

Here are a couple of the guys awaiting there new home

Not sure why the pics didnt upload......I added some pics of a few of them in my albums....couldnt figure out how to add them here yet

Last edited:
In a tank that big with adding every other day or every day if you choose; I don't think territory will be too much of an issue.

Thats great to know. I was hoping that would be the case. I'm trying to plan out the floorplan all in advance so it both looks good and creates all that they need in the way of rock and hiding places and there own space

Well the tank is now up and running. For whatever reason I cant seem to get pics to post on here, I thought I posted a few yesterday but obviously they didnt take either. Anyway Its very cloudy this morning but looking great. Hoping the cloudiness works itself out soon. Im pretty impressed with myself and my rock work and wanting to show off lol.

Back
Top Bottom