Adding driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have an established tank, and I have bought a piece of driftwood for my new bristlenose pleco, what exactly are the steps to prepare the driftwood for my tank?

Since i'm assuming it LFS bought, it should sink. If it'll fit.... Boil it for about an hour ... That'll help to sterilize and remove tannins.

If you don't have a pot large enough, you can run twice it In a dishwasher on high temp setting .... Minus the detergent of course!

jcolon said:
Since i'm assuming it LFS bought, it should sink. If it'll fit.... Boil it for about an hour ... That'll help to sterilize and remove tannins.

If you don't have a pot large enough, you can run twice it In a dishwasher on high temp setting .... Minus the detergent of course!

Thanks! Would soaking it in hot water for a day or 2 work as well?

Steelhawke said:
The hotter the better, you are using the heat to kill parasites.

Oh, ok. I'm continuously adding warmer water. Thanks!

Boil the driftwood for an hour. Then in a clean sterile bucket let in soak in dechlorinated/chloramine water for 1 week to 2 weeks to let most of the tannins leech out. Then rinse with dechlorinated/chloramine water and then you can place the driftwood in the aquarium.

Thanks! Would soaking it in hot water for a day or 2 work as well?

Yep... But if you could... Go the boiling route... You'd be surprised by how much it leaches out tannins. I boil for an hour .... Dumping the boiling water and refilling the whole time. I've done it this way with all my malaysian DW.

FreshwaterFishJunkie said:
Boil the driftwood for an hour. Then in a clean sterile bucket let in soak in dechlorinated/chloramine water for 1 week to 2 weeks to let most of the tannins leech out. Then rinse with dechlorinated/chloramine water and then you can place the driftwood in the aquarium.

Ok thanks!

jcolon said:
Yep... But if you could... Go the boiling route... You'd be surprised by how much it leaches out tannins. I boil for an hour .... Dumping the boiling water and refilling the whole time. I've done it this way with all my malaysian DW.

Cool that's the type of dw I bought, I'll try boiling it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom