Adding ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
The method of choice appears to be dissolving a perscribed mixture in water, then dosing by liquid mL.

Is there anything wrong with simply adding the dry powder directly to the filter? I've done it once, and it all seems to dissolve beofre it gets into the tank. I added it to the "In' side of my AC 20.

TIA

With an AC filter, that'll work. That's the only kind of HOB I use, so I can't speak for other brands.

With my 75, I end up dosing a little over a teaspoon of potassium sulfate, so that's just a lot more to dissolve than your situation. :)

Not to hi-jack the thread - but does that 'ok' for dry ingredients extend to non-hob users? Can dry ferts be added right to the tank?

Dry ferts can be added, if if doing so in terms of grams, its more accurate. Be careful which dry ferts you add at the same time. For instance adding fe and po4 will combine together into solids making both of them all but unuseable.

Potassium, nitrate, and certain traces like magnesium sulfate, may be dry dosed, typically because you'll need quite a bit.

But trace mixes like plantex CSM, or any phosphate should be made into a dosing solution. It would be hard to measure 1/16th tsp of PO4, even in grams...and a slight overage would yield too much PO4, and a possible algae bloom.

I like mixing my PO4 so that each mL is .1ppm in my 75gal. This works out to about .37ppm in my 20gallon tanks, so while I may have to dose more mL in my 75, the solution is universal for all my tanks...so I have fewer dosing bottles laying around.

If you find you dose very little KNO3, you might make a solution for it too. I wouldn't advise making a solution of KCl or K2SO4 because you'll go through it rapidly, especially since KCl is harder to fully dissolve at room temperature without a ton of water.

I never like to totally dry dose in my tanks, mainly because my fish are pigs, and while I hear lots of people say "my fish eat the grains of KNO3 all the time, doesn't hurt em" I still just can't be sold on the idea that its 100% safe.

Thus I keep a little 10oz rubbermaid container by the tank, so I can scoop up a cup of water, add my dry ferts, shake (not stir) and dose. My trace, PO4 and Iron are all liquids.
You can dose Iron and PO4 at the same time, but not in the same container. Adding them to the same container will form a precipitate like Simpte mentions, which is insoluable and thus a waste of good ferts because the plants will never absorb them.
But add them to the tank from 2 separate containers, and they won't be in contact long enough to precipitate.

Back
Top Bottom