Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am cycled and ready to add some fish / I was thinking of getting zebra danios since they are hardy and I'm a noob. how many should I get to start? How often should I do water changes in the beginning? I have a 20 gallon tank.

I would do 6 .. They are schooling fish. Also in theory you don't have to put fish in periodically because you have already cycled your tank, meaning you can fully stock right away.

As for water changes, you want to do them as much as possible to keep your nitrates below 40. I would say around 25 PWC every week.

What method did you use to cycle your tank? Is it a 20 high or 20 long? Judging by the shape of the tank in your avatar, I am guessing it's a 20 high. I would only add one or two species at a time. Zebra danios would probably do better in a 20 long, although they might still be ok in a 20 high. Perhaps neon tetras would be a better choice for your tank. A good water change schedule is 25% once a week, even with just a few fish.

It is longer than it is high.

I did a fishless cycle with ammonia

You could also add some cory catfish if you'd like for the bottom of your tank. Unless you had something else in mind?

It's 24 inches wide and 17 inches high

Back
Top Bottom