Adding Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
When my tank is set up for the 1st time and the LR and sand has had time to cure, when it comes time to add the first couple of fish to the tank will they need to be put in a QT for 4-5 weeks or can they go right into the tank after the acclimation process?

Agree, definately qt. You have no parasites in the system now and do not want to add them.

Ok, another stupid question. Is there any signs I need to be looking for besides the fish floating upside down? Or do you go ahead and medicate as a preventative for any parasites and common diseases?

Well you should research some dieses (Ya I Cant spell) online. Some are, not eating, full belly, swimming oddly. Just look around.

and a good bit of common sense to. Let your parental instincts take a foot hold. Fast breathing, listing, loose scales, patches of odd color or cloudy films on the skin. If it looks... "odd" take notice of it, test your water, and hit the net and this forum (particularly the sick fish/help forum) and your friends here will help you out.

Best start would be to only purchase fish that look healthy in the LFS. Make sure none of the other fish in the same tank are infected/diseased. Ask how long it's been there and then to see how well it feeds. Even after all that.. always QT!

Back
Top Bottom