adding instant cycle to established water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey gang,
I'm upgrading my 125g to a 250g. I plan on transferring the 125 gallons of cycled water to the new tank and then want to add the remaining 125g with mixed saltwater with RODI. My question is this, when I'm mixing the new 125 gallons I intend to add to the tank, can I add the instant cycle stuff you buy at the petstore to the mixed water, let it sit overnight, then add to the tank? Or do I mix the water, without the instant cycle stuff, let it sit overnight, add the water, then add the instant cycle stuff to the whole tank?

What would be the best way to do this? Realize, I will have only a half-full 250g tank with coral, fish and live rock and will want to get the system running as soon as possible, for obvious reasons... But cannot run it until the tank is full.

It's not the water that cycles, its the surfaces. You could do all new water. It's the rock and sand and glass that hold the bacteria.

Thanks for the input. I realize that, but because half the tank will be "new," do I have to use the instant cycle stuff? According to you, perhaps this is not necessary?

I've used bottle bacteria on several fresh tanks and with my new salt setup and completely cycled within 3days if not 24hours.

I think "smart start" is the best, same thing as dr.tims but room temp and cheaper.

But yeah after it's all set up and you have added your new live rock or some of it add the bacteria. It says how much it treats I only ever seen 50gl a bottle at around $13-$14 each

Excelllent! Thanks so much, I was planning on just adding it after I add the new live rock/live sand. Wait a day or two, then cycle should be done... Thanks again.

Mr. D said:
I've used bottle bacteria on several fresh tanks and with my new salt setup and completely cycled within 3days if not 24hours.

I think "smart start" is the best, same thing as dr.tims but room temp and cheaper.

But yeah after it's all set up and you have added your new live rock or some of it add the bacteria. It says how much it treats I only ever seen 50gl a bottle at around $13-$14 each

If you can get already cycled rock from your Lfs and that would also help.

Why not fill the new tank with new water 1/2 way and new rock and cycle just the new rock? Then add your rock and water.
Supra

I thought safe start was for fresh water only. I know dr times makes 2 products 1 for fresh and for salt.

You wont need to add anything as it will be like doing a large water change. If you plan on using your old sand/substrate be sure to rinse it very well or you will cause a cycle or nitrAte spike

Back
Top Bottom