Adding more sealing/painting?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkkkyle7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

We have a 36 gallon bow front tank we had got 3 years ago and had set up for a year and a half, then we had to take if down to move into a rental house until our new house was being done built. So the tank has sat empty for about a year and a half. I really want so set it back up now that were moved in but I am worried about it leaking, we had another of the same tank about 5 years ago and it leaked after a year and they gave us a new one (which is the one we have now) I was wondering if you can just add some new silicone over the old silicone. It does not appear to be dry rotten or anything but I just want to be sure since its going upstairs in our new house.

Another question...
Our aquarium was a real wood stand but the trim on the actual aquarium is fake plastic looking wood and the hood/light is brown plastic. What can I paint this with so Its safe for the fish and will not peel off? I was guess 100% latex and non-toxic spray paint? We already painted the stand white, we want it all to match. Thanks!:confused::confused:

Yes, if you were to simply go over the seals with new silicon and it would probably increase the integrity of the seals marginally. However, if you can find no problems that is a lot of work and time. Also, if there is a problem then you would be covering it not fixing it. They way to truly ensure no leaks would probably be to re-seal it completely. As far as paint I have used "Krylon Fusion" On Items that have gone IN my tank so for something is outside would probably be quite safe. Keep in mind the heat of the light and don't paint anything to close to that.

Don't go over old silicone with new, as it doesn't stick to it very well. there is no reason to think the tank sitting empty will have any effect on the seal. Silicone is a caulk, so exposure to air does not diminish it. I have reused tanks after 10 years of storage in an unheated space.

Back
Top Bottom