Adding one more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on adding one last fish to my reef. Tank is 75 gallons. Rock work all along the back my stock list is 1 scooter blenny (2 inches) 1 pj cardinal (1.5 inches) 1 fox face (3.5 inches) 1 blue throat trigger (3.5 inches) 1 marine betta (3.5 inches) 1 fire fish (1.5 inches) 2 occ clowns (1.5 and 2 inches) Lots of corals, 2 rock flower anemones, various snails and hermits (whatever's left that the betta hasn't eaten). Looking to add a mimic tang or kole tang. I know tangs usually need a 6 foot tank and mines 4 feet but liveaquaria says they're both ok in a 70 gallon and mines 75 gallon. Will upgrade in a year or so to a 150 or more but that might just be a fowlr so not sure what fish ill move over. Probably just the betta, fox face, trigger and tang if I get one. What's everyone's thoughts? My params have been great, corals are growing like crazy, so I doubt one more fish would be bad for the bio load, I just don't want to overstock and have anyone stress. No new fish have been added in months. Thanks in advance!

Here's pics of the tank

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Absolutefaye/media/image_zpsbb9bf1d9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Absolutefaye/media/image_zpsb4ba5d99.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Absolutefaye/media/image_zpsceb165ef.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Absolutefaye/media/image_zps3f85faf6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Those are mostly small (not the trigger and foxface obviously), so I think one more smaller Tang would be okay for a while. Bristletooths are okay in a 75g, IMO. The foxface and especially the bluethroat will appreciate the upgrade down the road.

Yeah the fox face and trigger are def the biggest and most active. The betta is larger too but she stays behind the rocks and munches on my CUC and only comes out at night. I'm just nervous because I don't wanna add a small tang and have issues. But honestly my LFS would take it back so maybe ill try. I figured a bristle tooth would be the smallest so ill probably go with that. Thanks!

Bristle tooth (Kole, Tomini, mimics) should be fine. As long as your parameters are staying in check, adding one more should not hurt for now. As they all grow, it might be pushing it on the bioload.

Well just found a 180 gallon on Craigslist with everything sooooo.... Maybe that was fate! Lol. Gonna talk to hubby about it tonight. Lol.

Well I went ahead and got a Chevron tang. It's a bristle tooth and blue zoo says its ok in the 75. Plus I'm probably buying the 180 anyway. :) got a great deal in him too!

He's about 3.5 inches and he was $100. Beautiful too. I'm acclimating still so ill take pics in a day or so if he's not hiding.

Ok I added a few FTS and two pics of the Chevron who's out and about and not even scared when I go over to the tank! Kinda shocked he's not hiding. He has a tiny bit of fin damage to his top and right fin but its barely anything. Does anyone know if it'll grow back? Doesn't hinder his swimming at all though. Ill feed in a bit and see if he eats.

Thanks! He's eating mysis and picking off rocks constantly so he seems to be adapting well. Now I gotta fatten him up!

Your tank is stunning, even better then some I've seen at professional aquariums like the Georgia, Tennessee, ect. Keep up the good work :D

Chevrons are great looking fish. The do get big, so it's going to outgrow your tank. Good reason to upgrade though. :)

Yeah I found a 180 on Craigslist with everything and an RO/DI unit that I'm most likely buying for $800. Just trying to figure out how to get it here and where to put it until we move. Hopefully buying a house in the next few months. We are renting a big house now and the houses in our price range are slightly smaller.... So attempting to figure it all out. If I don't upgrade and he gets too big ill give him to someone with a bigger tank. Right now he's just under 4" and it seems like there's plenty of room.... Until he becomes a fatty like my other fish. :) But he acclimated to the tank and was swimming around this morning picking at everything, eating well, and not shy about my face right next to him. He's really friendly!

They are probably my favorite Tang. Had one many years ago in a 300g (girlfriends tank at the time) with a black Tang. The Black was insanely expensive back then, but I thought it was kinda ugly.

You've got to look at tank space when looking at houses. We bought a house a few years ago that had no good wall space in the common areas and living room. Had to live with a small tank in each of the kids rooms for a few years. Our new place has all sorts of room. My 75g is on a wall that is over 10', so it is begging for a 300 or larger. :) Gonna do a brackish tank in the hallway soon too. My sons want a green spotted puffer.

I used to have brackish. I had a freshwater barracuda (he jumped ship and fried on the floor) and I had a frontosa, figure eights, gars, and random cichlids. But honestly my hubby and I are so obsessed with the hobby that its the main thing we've been looking for in a house. Lol. We found the perfect house and we going to make an offer but they had an underground oil tank. Big no no. Plus we are doing a VA loan and they'd never approve that anyway. But it had a full bar with running water in the basement and PERFECT space for a 300 gallon, though I doubt I'd afford a tank that big. We will keep looking.

I had a brackish many years ago with archers and scats. Very cool fish. I've never done puffers, so I'm kind of excited about doing something new.

Back
Top Bottom