adding salt...how often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
Post title says it all, but if it helps to have more info:

10 gallon tank w/ 2 molly fish

We're heavily into a nitrite spike and I added some salt today with a 50% water change to help with any irritations. I assume I can't do this every water change, but how often can/should I add? I'll be doing daily water changes for a while.

Post title says it all, but if it helps to have more info:

10 gallon tank w/ 2 molly fish

We're heavily into a nitrite spike and I added some salt today with a 50% water change to help with any irritations. I assume I can't do this every water change, but how often can/should I add? I'll be doing daily water changes for a while.

IMHO, never unless you're dealing with a specific illness and even then I'd be doing the salt in a QT. If you have a nitrIte (no2) spike it could be an issue of not being fully cycled. What are the rest of your water parameters? The best remedy for irritation (subjective) is a 50% PWC IME.

The tank is definitely not cycled...it's starting week 6. I added the salt to help with possible irritation to gills, etc. for the fish. One is suffering pretty badly--has been hanging at the bottom of the tank for the past few days--and I've read that salt can help soothe irritation. I did a 75% water change yesterday and a 50% today...and will continue doing 50% changes daily until I get the levels under control. They are now:

ammonia .50 - 1.0 (same as test this morning)
nitrite 2.0 (same as test this morning)
nitrate 10 (up from 5.0 this morning)

So, no more salt, do you think?

The tank is definitely not cycled...it's starting week 6. I added the salt to help with possible irritation to gills, etc. for the fish. One is suffering pretty badly--has been hanging at the bottom of the tank for the past few days--and I've read that salt can help soothe irritation. I did a 75% water change yesterday and a 50% today...and will continue doing 50% changes daily until I get the levels under control. They are now:

ammonia .50 - 1.0 (same as test this morning)
nitrite 2.0 (same as test this morning)
nitrate 10 (up from 5.0 this morning)

So, no more salt, do you think?

With ammo and no2 that high, I'd be doing PWC 2-3 times a day of at least 50-75% till the ammo gets below .25ppm and the no2 (more harmful IMO) down to 0ppm.

Adding salt while the fishes gills are being subjected to that level of ammo isn't really going to help the fish IMO, because the ammo will continue to harm them.

My best recommendation is lots of PWC, use Prime water conditioner and read the article below.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Ok, then. Thank you! So wow, more than one big pwc each day...I had wondered if it would be ok to do that, esp. since the levels tonight haven't changed much since this morning. The fish did perk up, though, after the water change so I'm hoping they'll hang in there.

Ok, then. Thank you! So wow, more than one big pwc each day...I had wondered if it would be ok to do that, esp. since the levels tonight haven't changed much since this morning. The fish did perk up, though, after the water change so I'm hoping they'll hang in there.

With your readings that high, it's what I'd do. Remember that each 50% PWC will cut those numbers in half. A subsequent PWC of 50% will cut the remaining number in half only, as opposed to eliminating it. Fresh water to a fish is like a breath of fresh air to us :).

One other recommendation i'd make is that you use Prime as a water conditioner, it binds ammo into a harmless element that your filter will collect and it also helps cut no2. NitrAte (no3), isn't really an issue unless it gets above 40ppm. If you have an issue with no3, Anacharis is like a sponge for it, it can be floated and lighting if of little concern (I think it grows in the dark lol).

Back
Top Bottom