Adding sand today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks life is going to suck going from gravel to sand but will look better I hope

How do I clean it same as gravel or just skim the top when I do my pwc

How do I clean it same as gravel or just skim the top when I do my pwc

Put it in an old pillow case and rinse it under the shower head, kneading it like bread dough as the dust washes away is what I like best. Keeps it contained and easy to drain off excess water.

Some put it in a bucket and run a hose in as it floats the dust up. I had horrible luck doing this, but others like it better.

I used a bucket in the shower. I put about a quarter of the bag in and turned on the water. As the water filled the bucket and began to overflow I stuck my hand in to the bottom and churned the sand until the water was almost clear. To vacuum it just take the cleaner and gently move it across the top, maybe an inch or two. There is no need to really dig in there.
I was thinking about the pillow case method as I was sitting on the side of my tub. :)

i had trouble figuring out how to clean my sand lol in the end i put it in a bucket with a hose in the bottom of the sand and with my gravel vacuum i sucked out the dirty water (at the same time the hose was running) , after 10 mins the water was clear and i could aim the gravel vac to skim the top of the sand to make sure all dirt was out

So before I start putting in sand how thick should I go for my live plants

I think you are going to really love planting in sand as opposed to gravel! I love planting in a sand tank. I put 3 inches in my 20g long.

Back
Top Bottom