Adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about adding about 1" of sand to my Eco-complete substrate. It is a 60 gallon tank. Is there a way that it won't become an awful mess and hurt my fish? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Use a pvc pipe and dump the sand into the pipe, it will allow you to get the sand where you want it with as little of a dust storm as possibke

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would just rinse it until the water is clear and add it to the tank with a cup. I tried adding sand with pvc and it all ended up clogging the pipe from poring it to fast. The sand I used was super fine like sugar so if it's more grainy the pvc idea might work better for you

Keep in mind that over time gravity will take over. I had Eco complete and a white sand cap and over the months it all got mixed together and looked horrendous.

Caleb

Keep in mind that over time gravity will take over. I had Eco complete and a white sand cap and over the months it all got mixed together and looked horrendous.

Caleb
+1 youre going to have to keep adding sand over time

Depending on how deep the ops sand bed already is if it's shallow you could just add more then what's in their and make it a deep sand bed. This would stop the gravity issue unless you have stuff that likes to dig, then your only way around it is to get rid of the existing gravel/sand.

Caleb

I have Eco-complete and was planning to add black sand. If they get mixed, it won't look too bad. I just want to have a softer topsoil because I have cory cats.

Depending on how deep the ops sand bed already is if it's shallow you could just add more then what's in their and make it a deep sand bed. This would stop the gravity issue unless you have stuff that likes to dig, then your only way around it is to get rid of the existing gravel/sand.

I have about 1 1/2 inches right now. But lots of MTS that stir everything.

Yeah the only way I see it working is if you add more sand then the substrate that's already in there. Or take the old substrate out. Some will still make its way to the top so look for a sand that complements your old substrate. I've read threads where people are trying to put sand over colored gravel and it just doesn't look good

Back
Top Bottom