Adding Shrimp to Freshwater Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I add shrimp?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No...

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

moomawkm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an established 29 gallon long tank. I was looking into maybe adding a few shrimp into my tank to help keep things clean.

Current Tankmates:
4 Bloodfin Tetra
4 Silver Tip Tetra
1 Redtailed Black Shark
1 Double Crowntail Halfmoon Betta
1 Rubber Lip Pleco

I don't have any live plants in the tank.

Anyone have any ideas about if I should add shrimp, and if so, what kind and how many??

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

moomawkm said:
I currently have an established 29 gallon long tank. I was looking into maybe adding a few shrimp into my tank to help keep things clean.

Current Tankmates:
4 Bloodfin Tetra
4 Silver Tip Tetra
1 Redtailed Black Shark
1 Rubber Lip Pleco

Anyone have any ideas about if I should add shrimp, and if so, what kind and how many??

Hrmmm never heard of a 29g long! Even so, Red Tail Shark will outgrow that tank, as cool as they are. Sorry :(

Not to worry though, the other fish fit perfectly in the tank! Bloodfins have a subtly beauty that you'll see when they mature. Underrated fish in my opinion.

Ok! Back to the main point. Shrimp won't exactly "clean" up your tank. Amano Shrimp will be big enough to not be attacked by your other fish. They love algae, so if that's your concern, they're your Shrimp. They will pick up some extra food, but of that's your concern, look into some Corys!

The red tailed black shark might be aggressive towards them and the betta might eat them. It's hit and miss with bettas. I'd test it with the inexpensive ghost shrimp to start. And as for number you can add pretty much as much as you want...just keep in mind caradina shrimp breed easily though I don't imagine your shrimplets lasting very long in that tank. Shrimp won't really do anything to clean your tank IME. But are very interesting to watch. They would appreciate some live plants/mosses to graze on.

I'd really get rid of the red tail. They get up to 6 inches and can be territorial/aggressive

tarpon said:
The red tailed black shark might be aggressive towards them and the betta might eat them. It's hit and miss with bettas. I'd test it with the inexpensive ghost shrimp to start. And as for number you can add pretty much as much as you want...just keep in mind caradina shrimp breed easily though I don't imagine your shrimplets lasting very long in that tank. Shrimp won't really do anything to clean your tank IME. But are very interesting to watch. They would appreciate some live plants/mosses to graze on.

Neocaridinas typically breed pretty easily. Caridinas are usually more of a challenge, and some of them, like the Amano shrimp, have a larval stage that requires brackish water for successful reproduction.

Hrmmm never heard of a 29g long! Even so, Red Tail Shark will outgrow that tank, as cool as they are. Sorry :(

Not to worry though, the other fish fit perfectly in the tank! Bloodfins have a subtly beauty that you'll see when they mature. Underrated fish in my opinion.

Ok! Back to the main point. Shrimp won't exactly "clean" up your tank. Amano Shrimp will be big enough to not be attacked by your other fish. They love algae, so if that's your concern, they're your Shrimp. They will pick up some extra food, but of that's your concern, look into some Corys!

I have a 55 gal set up to transfer my red tail into after he gets big enough.

But anyway, I was planning on getting 2 or 3 corys and maybe a few cherry barbs. Just thought I'd try something different with the shrimp...

moomawkm said:
I have a 55 gal set up to transfer my red tail into after he gets big enough.

But anyway, I was planning on getting 2 or 3 corys and maybe a few cherry barbs. Just thought I'd try something different with the shrimp...

Shrimps are truly great, but of you don't plan on the big kind like Amanos, it won't really work out. I've tried :( to no avail. Just don't want you to waste your money!

Also, as Mama said, Neos are the ones who readily reproduce and are hardier. Caridinas, although generally prettier, are harder to keep. With fish causing them to be stressed, they are a shoe-in to die.

severum mama said:
Neocaridinas typically breed pretty easily. Caridinas are usually more of a challenge, and some of them, like the Amano shrimp, have a larval stage that requires brackish water for successful reproduction.

Oh yeah! I got it mixed up backwards and was thinking cherries etc. Were caridina.

I have ghost shrimp and love them. They have just as much character as my fish and one guy even swims up into the mix at feeding time. Cheap, interesting and nice to look at. Maybe they remind me of my ex?

BigDaddy said:
I have ghost shrimp and love them. They have just as much character as my fish and one guy even swims up into the mix at feeding time. Cheap, interesting and nice to look at. Maybe they remind me of my ex?

Should I say touché?

Ghost Shrimp are a great test Shrimp! Good point BigDaddy.

Current Tankmates:
4 Bloodfin Tetra
4 Silver Tip Tetra
1 Redtailed Black Shark
1 Rubber Lip Pleco

As long as your tank is well planted with DW and Rocks ... the RTS is not a problem with shrimp for now ... your RTS will be a problem in general when in matures. IMO a 75gal is the minimum they need .. they become very territorially aggressive. My RTS however doesn't so much as look at any of my shrimp ... it constantly just swims right by them.

Your three basic options for shrimp are RCS, Amano's and Ghost. Experiment with ghost shrimp first for a month ... if they haven't been hunted, then move on to either Amano's or RCS's. Though Amano's are my next choice ... they are larger than Ghost Shrimp so the other fish should leave them alone.

With Shrimp it's hit or miss ... which is why I recommend you start with inexpensive Ghost Shrimp.

My ghost shrimp are great. I have seen them pick up fish poop before and eat it up. I only had 2 at the time but after I saw that, I picked up 10 more lol. I have Roselines, Tetras, SAE's, bolivian rams and a angel fish. they are still young but at 36 cents a piece it was a no-brainer. When the rams and angel get bigger and some do get eaten, oh well. but to see them scattered around a planted tank is really neat. the ghost shrimp I have are getting quit large so I think they will survive a long time. None of the other fish give any notice to them.

Question

I have goldfish right now in my tank, just got it started and trying to get it acclimated. Is it okay for ghost shrimp to be in a tank with goldfish?

Poliwog17 said:
I have goldfish right now in my tank, just got it started and trying to get it acclimated. Is it okay for ghost shrimp to be in a tank with goldfish?

I second this

Back
Top Bottom