Additional equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potterlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've been looking over various forums for a while now, and have decided that a saltwater tank may be for me. However, before I get into this, I thought I'd ask some people who may know.

First, I have two freshwater tanks at the moment, a 25 gallon and a 60 gallon. Likely, the inhabitants of the 25 will be moved into something larger, and I would in turn dedicate this tank to saltwater. Obviously, the tank will be cleaned and whatnot between the two. However, is such a tank too small for saltwater species commonly available? I would rather spend the money and buy a larger tank than cramp any new fish (this appears to be degrading to a "will any fish fit into my tank" question, but I'd like to ask sooner rather than later).

Secondly, I have all of the equipment to run a few freshwater tanks with some things left over. This leads me to ask: what equipment is needed specifically for a saltwater tank? Obviously, test kits differ between fresh and saltwater, but I'm assuming other factors are taken into consideration, such as protein skimming and measuring salinity.

So, that's it from me. If anyone has advice of any kind, please let me know; I greatly appreciate your time. Thank you.

Luke

You would be better off starting with something bigger than your 25. With SW, the bigger the tank, the better you are. And it also allows for bigger, or more inhabitants.

Depending on what you want to keep (fish only or corals) you will need applicable lighting. You will also need a sump or wet/dry (or similar filter), a protein skimmer, a heater, a hydrometer to check SG. Also, 1 pound of live rock per gallon of water will help greatly with the biological filter. I am sure others will add more ideas.

Hope this helps.

Please take AndyH5512 advice. In the realm of Marine Aquarium bigger is absolutely better. Also more expensive but definitely worth it for the well being of your wet friends.

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. I'd rather not to something than do something improperly, and it looks like I'll be tracking down a new tank once I do commit to saltwater. I guess I could now toss this one out: what size tanks to others here deal with? I've found several used tanks for sale, ranging from 42 gallons up to about 125, and would ideally go for the 125 if no one presents any drawbacks?

Luke

I would suggest a 125 gallon if it is not phsyically or financially straining on you. This will allow you to choose from what type of tank you want to setup (FOWLR or Reef). It will also allow your to choose fish that will in a short time outgrow your 60 gallon setup. Do not trash you other tank as you can clean it and definitely use it as a hospital tank. This will allow you to keep your medication cost down on treating sick fish and protect your 125 gallon tank from parasites and other nasty things. Hope all goes well with your setup. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom