ADF Compatible Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MATESkid2016

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I was just wondering what fish are suitable tank mates for ADFs...I have a 10 gallon tank. I know about peaceful schooling fish, but are there any other really cool types of fish that wont kill of be killed by the frogs?

Depends who you ask. There are risks involved when keeping them with fish. The frog can eat or try to eat the fish. The fish can pick on the frog and can steal any food meant for it. IMO they are probably better off in frog only tanks.

I would put an ADF with other ADF's or by themselves. I had two in a community tank with peaceful fish and they couldn't get any food. Best bet is a Betta.

They do ok wih a small amount of peaceful fish like platys or tetras. But you need to get frog specific food and sinking pellets, the one worry is getting food to them. I know that from experience. A true adf won't attack fish, but a white adf is not a real adf. If the front feet have large claws, it is an African clawed frog that gets larger and will end up killing small fish and shrimp.

I have a adf an have 3 bettas 3 neon tetras 3 high fin platys and 2 sword tails with my frog and they all get along fine however when he gets bigger he may eat my tetras

I have a adf an have 3 bettas 3 neon tetras 3 high fin platys and 2 sword tails with my frog and they all get along fine however when he gets bigger he may eat my tetras

He also eats blood worms and I hand feed him to make sure he does get food

Sorry to but in but can 3 ottos, 3 dwarf cories, and 2 adf live together in a 10 gallon?

ADF really don't bother other fishes but I had an ADF take nips at the flowing fins of a Beta and they would fight.

The frogs do well in a community tank with peaceful fish. You need to make sure food like frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms sink to the bottom for them to eat. They have a good sense of smell and can find the food just make sure you feed enough to let enough get to the bottom. They can notice when the food comes and they will move toward it. They do have poor eyesight though.

So if you are okay with "over-feeding" then you can have African Dwarf frogs with peaceful tropical fish.

I have two ADFs in my 20 gallon with two german blue rams, two platys and one pleco. I have found them to be very peaceful with the other fish. They need plenty of places to hide since they are so shy. I have also found that it is best to feed them while the other fish are busy eating. I plan on buying a turkey baster next time I go to the store to help feed them.

I had a male betta in with mine for a while before getting the betta his own tank and all was well :)

The only fish I've ever had/seen problems with are small tetras (neons/cardinals) or pygmy cories. ADFs will sometimes attempt to perform the 'alligator death roll' on them, biting down on the head and twisting their bodies till they either suffocate or break the vertebral column. It seems to be more competition-motivated than predatory, I've never seen an ADF eating his kill before.

Haha this thread has had some really mixed responses. First, how long have you had the frogs? Are you sure they are ADF not African Clawed Frog. That was mentioned earlier in the thread. But ACF can have the "wild" or "green" markings as well. Having cared for both (in two different aquariums), I'd say you're safe housing just about any small tropical fish with ADFs.

As fas as ACF goes...how can you not fall in love with that---->

Attachments

• image-3966805034.jpg
    image-3966805034.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom