ADF Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting a new 29 gal tank with ADFs and I have a couple questions:

1. I know from experience these guys need shallower water because they come up for air. My tank is 16 or so inches high. Anyone have ADFs in a tank this deep? I know it's not a big deal - I could always lower the water level if I see they are struggling, but I just wondered.

2. Planning on having a group of cories as well, and I was wondering for feeding purposes if they do ok together. I know ADFs tend to be slower at finding food. I guess I could try to feed them in separate locations in the tank? I also have seen so many different food suggestions for ADFs. I'm not sure what to feed these little guys.

3. Also would love any suggestions for tank mates for ADFs and cories. Obviously I want some mid to high level fish and an algae eater for a 29 gal.

Thanks!

All I can say is be sure you get ADF and not African Clawed Frogs. I had the latter. They got huge and ate the fish but we're awesome pets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My experience with adf's. They are difficult to feed with other fish with them. It's all eaten before it gets to them. Hers a technique I learned to feed them when keeping with other fish.

Turkey baster with dried blood worms. Soak the blood worms in aquarium water for a few minutes. Suck the worms up in the baster and hold it close to them. They are very shy at first but after a while they'll come running to you. Barely squeeze the worms until they are just sticking out of the baster and the frog will slurp them out. It takes allot of patience at first but after a while it's fun to see them come running for the baster. They will starve if you try to rely on them getting leftovers.

I now have my adfs in a 10 gallon by themselves. 6 of them. I put terra cotta pots on their side for them to hide. I also have a terra cotta plate in there where I place their food. They know where to find it now and come running to the plate at feeding time. They crawl all over each other to get some.

I got lucky and have males and females and they hum at night to each other. It's a cool sound.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try the plate/turkey baster!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any suggestions on tank mates or water height?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom