ADF troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone, many of you may know me from commenting on other threads, as I am not new to fish. But I am new to African dwarf frogs! I got 2 of these guys to go in my 4g tank with my beta because I had heard such good things about them. Tank is cycled, heated (78 degrees), filtered, has anubias, java fern, red root floaters and giant duckweed. Parameters are 0-0-10. I've had them for 4 days now and they do not appear to be eating. When I drop the frog pellets in, even if they fall right on their noses, they act like they don't see them, and swim away to hide. I read of people "training" their frogs to be fed in a net so I scooped up one in a net (setting it so the top is just open to the surface) and added a few pieces of food. He is now just sitting in the net with the food all around him, completely ignoring it. I'm afraid the little guys are getting very thin. Help would be appreciated :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392778896.513664.jpg

The first thing I fed my pair when I added them to the tank was frozen blood worms. I've got a 50cc syringe and just draw them up with a little tank water. I've already got mine trained to a " feeding corner". Just tap the tank before you feed and always feed the same spot in the tank. They will find the stinky pellets and worms. A lot of times mine will chow after I turn off the lights.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Frozen blood worms are certainly the way to go. Sadly the pellets they sell in LFS are worthless. Frogs are prey driven animals and will go after the smell from the worms thawed out in the water. Good luck!:)

9u5e5uvu.jpg
Mine think these are bomb!

Careful. I feed 3-4 pellets per frog every other day. The worms only a few per frog and only once a week. They can bloat on you like bettas.

Thanks! I'll have to try the dropper method and bloodworms- although I'm worried my beta might become as well trained as them!

They seem to have quite the personalities! If I have good luck with these 2 once they get settled into a routine, I might get a couple more. I'll update this thread on how they do so you can see how it works out for me, and help you decide if you want to get some :)

Well... One if them has disappeared. Today I did a water change and I can only find one frog. Moved all the rocks, plants, driftwood. Even looked in the sump and took out filter cartridges. No idea where he could be. But I'm guessing wherever he is, he isn't alive anymore :(

Well... One if them has disappeared. Today I did a water change and I can only find one frog. Moved all the rocks, plants, driftwood. Even looked in the sump and took out filter cartridges. No idea where he could be. But I'm guessing wherever he is, he isn't alive anymore :(

Check around and behind the tank? Any other pets in the house who may have had a nibble once he hit the floor?:confused:

I feed my two adf's frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp using a turkey baster. Got then a week ago. First couple times they weren't sure what was going on but by third or fourth try they were shoving their little mouths up the baster to get the food! They do like to hide and I find them in the craziest places, make sure your cover is tight, they look to escape. Very entertaining !

I did look on the floor around the tank, but it's on a large dresser which I can't move so it's possible he could have fallen behind there. We don't have any pets- only my fish/ frog/ snail.
I haven't been able to get any frozen bloodworms yet because the nearest place to my college that has them is 45 minutes away.
I have a whole freezer bag full of different frozen foods at home- I wish I would have brought some with me :(

Does anyone know if they burrow in sand? Mine is very fine and soft.
I looked all around, behind and under the dresser today with a flashlight and nothing.

My two never have.....that is so weird.

Well.. Yes and no haha. I never found the first one that went missing. It's been missing for a week now so I don't have high hopes. But today the second one went missing. I looked in the filter and found him just sitting back there.
I went to the store today and got frozen bloodworms so I put him in the net up at the surface and put a few thawed worms in. For about 10 minutes he completely ignored them. Then all if a sudden- snap! He ate one!!! I left him in the net with the rest of the worms for another 5-10 minutes and he didn't ever eat any more, but because this is the first time I have seen him eat since I got him 2 weeks ago, I think it's definitely progress! Now he is being more active than I have ever seen him :) usually I never see him except when he comes up for air because he constantly hides under a rock. Now he is crawling all around the tank!
This is my ultimate goal:
http://youtu.be/l9Grx0iuqBs
Hopefully after a few more feeding he will try to get into the net like this little frog!

That's great! Not so great about the other one. I'm sorry. Do that with the aquatic frog pellets too. They are so easy to train.

Back
Top Bottom