Adjust the tank or the fish? (FW and Brackish issue)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PufferDude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Short version: I am picking up some green spotted puffers tomorrow, and I don't know if they will be FW or Brackish when I get them. I have a FW cycled tank ready to receive them. If they are in brackish, do I adjust the fish (using a drip method) to FW and save the bacteria until I can slowly ramp up the SG, or do I salt the whole tank and stay on top of water changes? Or, split the difference?

Before you suggest to gradually up the salt and get the fish in a few weeks, there are several reasons why that won't work where I live. So, any advice you can give about what is least likely to kill the fish would be great!

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I think changing the fish back and forth from salt to fresh would harm the fish. If it were me since it's going to need to brackish eventually I'd have the salt on hand and a way to measure it. I could never get those cheap plastic meters to work accurately. If the fish is brackish can it stay in the water it comes in for a bit while you mix up salt to match the degree that it came in? Is the lfs ordering these fish for you and that's why they don't know which type of water it will come in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the lfs ordering these fish for you and that's why they don't know which type of water it will come in?

Exactly, not sure which it will be, and have to be prepared for both. "Local" fish store for me is 2 hours, one way. I am just trying to figure out what my best chances are -- acclimate the fish to FW, or try to "go brackish" right away and lose the cycle. I am not sure what they are going to give me the fish in, but if it is little bags I wouldn't want to keep them in there long term.

Update: The point was moot; they were in FW at the store. They sure look happy! Thanks for the reply.

But they won't stay that way. In order for them to thrive, they do need brackish water.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will bacteria adjust and convert is salinity is gradually brought up over time? I mean it's not going to be a significant change overnight anyway for them to adjust to brackish.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom