Advice For A New 2G Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpleenRippa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!
On a whim, I picked up a new 2 gallon hex yesterday. Couldn't pass it up for $15. Especially when my computer desk here at home seems to have a nook in it built specifically for this tank :)

I want to do my first planted tank, and am going to try Java fern and moss. If they don't work out, they can always be moved to my 6g...

My questions are- being a plant newb-
1) get tank going now and cycle, then plant it? Or will the plants play a key role?

2) I'm thinking plain jane substrate will be fine... Or should I get some speciality stuff? How about a gravel/potting soil mix?

Setup will have a ~13w CF light desk lamp over it, and will be filtered. Still debating heat, as this will be an eventual home for a new Betta...

All help very appreciated :)

Java Moss and Java Fern are very undemanding plants. I wouldn't worry about special substrate unless you think there will be little bioload to supply the plant with nutrients. I think substrate tabs might be a better way to go with the plain substrate.

The lighting doesn't matter so much with these plants either. They are pretty undemanding.

Java ferns and moss should usually be tied to a rock or a piece of driftwood. If you do plant the fern, make sure the rhizome is not buried in the substrate.

the plants are not a key roll but you can put them in before cycling and it will go all fine. i recently set up a 400l planted tank and all the plants went fine though cycle. :)

I have a 2gal hex with some great plants and two African dwarf frogs (amphibious). They love the plants. If you get them, put small rocks in the bottom. They don't see very well and the food will fall between big rocks. And I never cycled them because I used spring water in the tank. no treatment necessary.

Back
Top Bottom