Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemonsun1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys, I've been looking at Fluval SPEC Desktop Glass Aquarium, 2-gallon on amazon. I want it on my desktop planted, with a few cardinals (?)

Can you please suggest me nice plants that won't require CO2 kit, and will do well with EXCEL in this tank? Also, I am open for the fish suggestions :)

There aren't really any fish that will fit. You could do shrimp, with some java ferns and moss.

lemonsun1 said:
Guys, I've been looking at Fluval SPEC Desktop Glass Aquarium, 2-gallon on amazon. I want it on my desktop planted, with a few cardinals (?)

Can you please suggest me nice plants that won't require CO2 kit, and will do well with EXCEL in this tank? Also, I am open for the fish suggestions :)

Anubias maybe water sprite

Click on my link in my signature below..

Ok it maybe a little bigger and hard to maintain than what you have in mind but it may also give you some pointers. As I also intend to stock it with shrimp for a first time!

Hope it helps =)

Click on my link in my signature below..

Ok it maybe a little bigger and hard to maintain than what you have in mind but it may also give you some pointers. As I also intend to stock it with shrimp for a first time!

Hope it helps =)

Thanks!
Speaking of "a little bigger".... I might go with 5 gallon, looks like i have enough room on my desk next to my monitor :)

I haven't kept them myself, but I know there's something called 'micro-fish' (or similar maybe?) that will stay at a size of a few millimetres or centimetre or two... Maybe some of that?

No problem =)

All depends on your budget and personal preference really. Mine is on my desk and I can still fit my laptop on it at the same time and do written work.

lemonsun1 said:
Thanks!
Speaking of "a little bigger".... I might go with 5 gallon, looks like i have enough room on my desk next to my monitor :)

With a five gallon you could have a betta. Get a really flashy one, and it'll be really cool. You could also do black gravel and background to really make him and the plants pop, to make up for him being the only fish.

lemonsun1 said:
This sounds very attractive!

Its what I'm hoping to do when I set my ten gallon back up. I think a red betta would look especially nice with the black gravel.

Yeah sounds a nice set up. Plus very low maintenance because Bettas due to the fact that they can breath atmospheric air and so less water changes are needed. However you should still do them to keep it in good condition.

Basefrog said:
Yeah sounds a nice set up. Plus very low maintenance because Bettas due to the fact that they can breath atmospheric air and so less water changes are needed. However you should still do them to keep it in good condition.

They can survive in horrendous conditions, but I still reccomend a weekly 25% water change. And the tank does need to be precycled for the betta.
And I would feed pellets to the betta every other day, with a little piece of a pea once a week. And soak the pellets in tank water for five minutes before feeding to prevent bloat, which is very common in bettas. And he only needs one or two pellets for each feeding.

If you can fit a 5g, then I totally suggest doing it. There are quite a few more fish options that can thrive in a 5g than you can try to keep in a 2g. :)
Bettas are a nice option IMO. They are actually quite active in a 5g tank and are fairly personable. There are also more species of betta besides just the Betta splendens that you commonly see. Betta Species
There are also a good handful of nano fish that would do well in a 5g like chili rasboras or ember tetras. Keep in mind that most of the fish you commonly see in petstores won't do well in a tank that small, but there are definitely some really good options. :)
If you do end up going with a smaller tank, then I definitely recommend shrimp. I keep red cherry shrimp and they are really great fun to watch. They are colorful, active, and cute little guys. :)

In fact, I just bought a Fighter Fish (Betta for over-the-pond's :D) yesterday for my 6 gallon tank after dead of my monster shrimp (se my 'need a cheer' thread!) so if you're upgrading to 5 gallon a Betta is a way to go! I can't stop looking at mine and I almost forgot my main tank! :)
I'm definitely watching the thread :D

Basefrog said:

Bettas are effected just as much as any other fish in bad water conditions (high in dissolved solids, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, cool water, etc). They still need water changes and cycled tanks. They are lumped into the same category as goldfish as 'easy care' fish but in reality they need as much care as any other fish.

Mumma.of.two said:
Bettas are effected just as much as any other fish in bad water conditions (high in dissolved solids, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, cool water, etc). They still need water changes and cycled tanks. They are lumped into the same category as goldfish as 'easy care' fish but in reality they need as much care as any other fish.

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom