Advice --New 26 gallon Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynleenorde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just transferred my fish from a 10 gallon to a 26 gallon bow front last night. They all seem to be doing fine. We have one peppered cory catfish, 2 neon tetras and one rosy barb. We had one more tetra but he passed a couple days ago which finally got me to get the larger tank (not sure if related, but we got the tank a month ago and I figured out it was overstocked and had a hard time keeping up). I would like to add the appropriate number of friends to the tank for them. I got advice on a 29 but not sure if a 26 bow (which I think is taller) effects it. I def want to add a min of 3-4 neons. How many cory's or do I mix it up with something different for bottom dwellers? As for the barbs? Other lone fish to add? Any advice welcome. Thanks!!

Cories must be kept in groups of at least 3. The barb prefers groups but they can survive a loner. The 10 gal was definitely not overstocked btw. Kuhli loaches ( groups of 4+ ) are also really good bottom dwellers. Some rainbow fish can be loners. Red tailed sharks and rainbow sharks actually must be kept a loner and are a great addition to a community/semi-aggressive tank.

I absolutely beg to differ. Everything I researched stated that the 10 gallon was overstocked.

Nope definitely not over stocked on your 10. Cory's love to play in groups, min 3 I would go with 6 but what is your substrate? Neon's go with 6 or more. Maybe a pearl gourami or ram? and still have room

I would also bump up your neons to at least 6. and add 3 or more corys. You should still have plenty of space for stocking, as neons have a very low bioload! I would focus more on making the existing fish you have feel more comfortable with a large school of each, before looking to add another species. I would avoid a red tail or rainbow shark however, they grow too large for your tank and will be too aggressive for your current fish. A nice peaceful species of gourami would make a nice centre piece fish.

I would also bump up your neons to at least 6. and add 3 or more corys. You should still have plenty of space for stocking, as neons have a very low bioload! I would focus more on making the existing fish you have feel more comfortable with a large school of each, before looking to add another species. I would avoid a red tail or rainbow shark however, they grow too large for your tank and will be too aggressive for your current fish. A nice peaceful species of gourami would make a nice centre piece fish.

100% spot on! I would go with a pearl gourami as a centerpiece.

Rainbows may get too big but red tails max out at around 4". They are also only aggressive to their own species. But will be a bit territorial to other fish.

Rainbows may get too big but red tails max out at around 4". They are also only aggressive to their own species. But will be a bit territorial to other fish.

Due to how territorial they are red tailed sharks are usually recommended to be housed in at least a 55 gal. In smaller tanks they are known to act quite aggressive toward other fish once they hit sexual maturity.

Due to how territorial they are red tailed sharks are usually recommended to be housed in at least a 55 gal. In smaller tanks they are known to act quite aggressive toward other fish once they hit sexual maturity.

So rts are more aggressive than rainbows? Rts usually have a marked territory and are only aggressive if fish enter it.

So rts are more aggressive than rainbows? Rts usually have a marked territory and are only aggressive if fish enter it.

That marked territory is usually good in a 55g where the footprint is 48 inches but in a 26g the footprint is much too small. The other fish in the tank have less room to move in and less room to hide/get away, thus they often experience a great deal of stress.

That marked territory is usually good in a 55g where the footprint is 48 inches but in a 26g the footprint is much too small. The other fish in the tank have less room to move in and less room to hide/get away, thus they often experience a great deal of stress.

That depends on how territorial the shark is. Sometimes it will take only a few inches of space as his territory and sometimes more than 5". They usually take territory on driftwood or around plants though. So having one piece of driftwood in a corner or something and the shark may take that as his territory and the rest of the tank is the other fishes.

That depends on how territorial the shark is. Sometimes it will take only a few inches of space as his territory and sometimes more than 5". They usually take territory on driftwood or around plants though. So having one piece of driftwood in a corner or something and the shark may take that as his territory and the rest of the tank is the other fishes.

The key words are "sometimes" and "may". It always depends on the individual personality of the fish but as a general rule I would still not recommend a RTS in anything less than a 50 (for a community tank). Fully mature RTSs will often have several territories as well.

The key words are "sometimes" and "may". It always depends on the individual personality of the fish but as a general rule I would still not recommend a RTS in anything less than a 50 (for a community tank). Fully mature RTSs will often have several territories as well.

So it really is up to the op to decide whether or not to get it. :)

Cories must be kept in groups of at least 3. The barb prefers groups but they can survive a loner. The 10 gal was definitely not overstocked btw. Kuhli loaches ( groups of 4+ ) are also really good bottom dwellers. Some rainbow fish can be loners. Red tailed sharks and rainbow sharks actually must be kept a loner and are a great addition to a community/semi-aggressive tank.

Kuhli Loaches need groups? I had never heard that, and now feel bad for my lonely guy

Kuhli Loaches need groups? I had never heard that, and now feel bad for my lonely guy

Yeah. One loner doesn't come out as much and is less active. The more the merrier. :). When in a group, they feel braver and will come out more during the day and "play" around.

So it really is up to the op to decide whether or not to get it. :)

As someone who has previously kept a red tail shark, I would strongly advise against it in this situation. They are not suitable for this sized tank, while they may claim a smaller territory when young, there aggression increases with age. Fish such as neon tetra's, cherry barbs and corys will not stand a chance.

As someone who has previously kept a red tail shark, I would strongly advise against it in this situation. They are not suitable for this sized tank, while they may claim a smaller territory when young, there aggression increases with age. Fish such as neon tetra's, cherry barbs and corys will not stand a chance.

Ok. Then I guess don't get it. The one I had was pretty nice and I couldn't seem to find his territory. He just swam around with all the other fish. Each shark has different personality.

Back
Top Bottom