Advice on Corals please??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
So after acclimating just take it out of the container and put it in the tank?? Don't reuse any of the water

I second that. Same rule applies for fish, snails, or anything else you bring home in a bag. Trust us, besides not knowing if anything bad is in the water from other tanks, water sitting in a bag with a live animal quickly gets foul (smell it when you first open it). >_<' It's standard (and wise) practice to toss it out.

Oh, regular 'gel' type super glue works just fine.

CorallineAlgae said:
I second that. Same rule applies for fish, snails, or anything else you bring home in a bag. Trust us, besides not knowing if anything bad is in the water from other tanks, water sitting in a bag with a live animal quickly gets foul (smell it when you first open it). >_<' It's standard (and wise) practice to toss it out.

Oh, regular 'gel' type super glue works just fine.

Yeah I have smelled it before unfortunately haha thanks for your input Coralline :)

I just went out and bought the Coralife 11" Mini T5 :) its definitely a good enough size for my tank but there's only one thing I don't like. There's only 1 switch for the lights, so the blue and white are always on at the same time unlike my 60" Odyssea T5 :(

Guy at my LFS had a good idea as well which I'm surprised I didn't think of. He said to stack the LR in the middle of the tank so I can put corals on it and they'll have direct light. Sounds good to me.

DanS180 said:
I just went out and bought the Coralife 11" Mini T5 :) its definitely a good enough size for my tank but there's only one thing I don't like. There's only 1 switch for the lights, so the blue and white are always on at the same time unlike my 60" Odyssea T5 :(

Guy at my LFS had a good idea as well which I'm surprised I didn't think of. He said to stack the LR in the middle of the tank so I can put corals on it and they'll have direct light. Sounds good to me.

That should be fine with the correct bulbs. And back to the glue topic i belive instant ocean makes one called 'hold fast'. That works pretty well. Kent makes one as well

Jacobsal91 said:
That should be fine with the correct bulbs. And back to the glue topic i belive instant ocean makes one called 'hold fast'. That works pretty well. Kent makes one as well

They're 6W bulbs, 10000K Aand actinic, think these will be okay?

Keep the corals in the on the sand bed and move them up if u feel its needed. If they look healthy then they should be fine. Just dont do any macima clams or hard corals. I belive those require more extreme lights

Jacobsal91 said:
Keep the corals in the on the sand bed and move them up if u feel its needed. If they look healthy then they should be fine. Just dont do any macima clams or hard corals. I belive those require more extreme lights

Yeah so I heard... I plan on sticking with soft corals anyways :) gonna try n rearrange my rock soon..

I'm gonna try n put a picture up of what it looks like now

Okay here it is with the new light hooked up and here's how my LR is set up now.. tell me what u think guys!!

ForumRunner_20120811_193730.jpg

Here's a closer view of the LR.. the purple pieces are reef ready cured LR and the lighter pieces are basic LR

ForumRunner_20120811_194244.jpg

It kind of sounds like we are doing the same thing. I'm doing corals and invertebrates. MAYBE a nano fish, but my tank is a 5 gallon. I just filled it today and added salt. I tested my water for ammonia... Next time you test could you post a picture of your results? (if you're using the API master test kit, cause that's what I'm using.). How far along in your cycle are you?

Bearchumjs said:
It kind of sounds like we are doing the same thing. I'm doing corals and invertebrates. MAYBE a nano fish, but my tank is a 5 gallon. I just filled it today and added salt. I tested my water for ammonia... Next time you test could you post a picture of your results? (if you're using the API master test kit, cause that's what I'm using.). How far along in your cycle are you?

Thank you! Yeah I'm not even close to knowing what I'm goin to be stocking it with yet lol but yes the next I test I will post a picture of the results

I am just about 2 weeks into the cycle but its moving along pretty quickly :)

Alright well I think.. I think... I have an idea of what I wanna stock the tank with lol here it goes

1 occy clown
1 firefish
CUC of course(not exactly sure which yet)

After I let it establish itself for awhile I'll prolly go ahead with a Button polyp of some sort, probably a mushroom of some sort and maybe an anemone for my clown.

Think this would be okay?

DanS180 said:
Alright well I think.. I think... I have an idea of what I wanna stock the tank with lol here it goes

1 occy clown
1 firefish
CUC of course(not exactly sure which yet)

After I let it establish itself for awhile I'll prolly go ahead with a Button polyp of some sort, probably a mushroom of some sort and maybe an anemone for my clown.

Think this would be okay?

An anemone needs strong lighting

Masoniac said:
An anemone needs strong lighting

I was told an anemone in this size tank with my light would be okay??(a sufficient anemone) There would probably be about 10in between my light and the anemone.

Disregard.. my light is not sufficient enough, I just read anemones require at least 150W of light to thrive. My poor little light is only 12W :/ lol

Okay so with that out of the way, what kind of corals would YOU guys do in my tank? Remember I'm a beginner in SW so farely easy corals would be best :) thanks!

DanS180 said:
Disregard.. my light is not sufficient enough, I just read anemones require at least 150W of light to thrive. My poor little light is only 12W :/ lol

Okay so with that out of the way, what kind of corals would YOU guys do in my tank? Remember I'm a beginner in SW so farely easy corals would be best :) thanks!

A bunch a different color zoa's would be cool

Back
Top Bottom