Advice Requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Iron, Phosphate, and Total root tabs for Swords, Crypts, Red Tiger Lotus. I also often use the Iron root tabs around non-green stem plants. I get these at AquariumPlants.com also. Each bottle has like 75 root tabs that you use every 45 days so it's pretty economical.

I tried some API root tabs last week. I think the package said that 6 tablets would treat 10 gallons. So, math would tell me I should use 24 to treat a 40 gallon, right? Maybe so, but something went wrong. I had finally gotten the tank clean again with very little green algae to speak of... still some lingering black (algae I assume) on the plants, but over all.. was much better. After putting in 20 (not 24) API root tabs in the evening, I came home the next day after work to a tank with cloudy water and new algae that quickly swept across the tank. I don't know what in the world I did wrong, but I got it cleaned up again and started my new regimen of ferts.

Thanks to some great advice from Rivercats, I have started using the PPS method of fertilization with dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I am also using a very slight overdose of Flourish Excel daily.

I also FINALLY found a perfect piece of driftwood to add to the tank that will look really great. Right now I've got it soaking in RO water to pull out any tannins and saturate it so it won't float. I don't want to weight it down with slate or anything.

So... by this weekend, I should be able to get that driftwood in and do a "remodel" of existing hardscape. Once I've done that, I will order some new plants to go along with the existing ones that will help accent and provide depth.

Anyway - I'm extremely excited to start this new product and get this tank to where I would like to see it.

Thanks to EVERYBODY who offered advice. I look forward to continuing to learn more and more from you. Rivercats has been especially helpful and I thank you for that.

BTW, I understand that adding driftwood will change my water a bit. If I understand right, It will reduce my pH and possibly soften the water. Is this true? If so, how quickly does that happen?

I've never used API root tabs before but that just sounds like way too many. And obviously they released all kinds of excess nutrients in the water. Did you leave them in or try to syphon most of them out? Just curious. Also you might want to check your ammonia level to see if it spiked after adding so many.

I've never used API root tabs before but that just sounds like way too many. And obviously they released all kinds of excess nutrients in the water. Did you leave them in or try to syphon most of them out? Just curious. Also you might want to check your ammonia level to see if it spiked after adding so many.
Hi, Rivercats - I did try to syphon out as much as I could when I cleaned the tank. I knew I was going to start these other ferts soon, SO I was not too concerned about getting all of that out that I could.

I didn't check for an ammonia spike. I didn't realize that could happen due to too much fertilizer. I did see some of my fish look a bit "off" for a couple of days, though, and lost a small molly and an otocinclus. I've since scrubbed the tank and hardscape and did a water change. All the fish are happy and the water is good. In fact, while I know it is probably too much, I found the perfect angels. I've been wanting some to grow out and found a couple that are perfect. I'll add pics later. The new angels are still a bit reserved, but they seem to be okay.

The angels won't be reserved for long... lol! I swear even after over 30 years of keeping them I am still amazed what piglets they are. My 220 is in the sunroom and when I go out in the morning to let the dogs out all 12 angels are in the corner of the tank closest to the door that I come out of. The lights aren't even on and they are impatiently waiting!

Just a few updated pics.

First is a plant I grew from a bulb. I'm not sure what it is, but it has grown into a beautiful plant very similar to the one I lost due to my rookie failure. Hoping to keep this one alive. I think it's very pretty.

Second is a pic of my blue rams. I love these fish, but it's hard to get a good pic of them together.

Third is a pic of my son's twin bar red swordtail. I still think this is one of the prettiest fish we have. I haven't seen another one like it at the LFS. I have a female, too and hope that I end up with more of these.

Fourth are my new feature fish! I have patiently waited until the LFS got the perfect angels and I walked in yesterday to see about 25 or 30 of these! The biggest challenge was choosing the ones I wanted and him being able to actually get the ones I picked! There is a good chance that these aren't the original ones I picked, but they are beautiful.

Finally, just a pic of some plants. My biggest goal right now is to get all the plants I have healthy and keep them that way. I will be adding a piece of driftwood soon and as I said earlier, will then order some plants to accent the new look I end up with, but it's looking better!

Attachments

• image-1661509864.jpg
    image-1661509864.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2740438163.jpg
    image-2740438163.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1976716202.jpg
    image-1976716202.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image-586601583.jpg
    image-586601583.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-4119198639.jpg
    image-4119198639.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 65
This is the driftwood I got last week. Still soaking and still turning water brown. So glad I didn't put it right into my tank!

Attachments

• image-1242954588.jpg
    image-1242954588.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 55
Okay, so I am now dosing my micros and macros daily per the PPS method. I've been adding about a cap and a half, about 7 mL of Flourish Excel daily as well. I've also reduced my ligts to about 7 hours per day. Today I added a CO2 system to the tank at about 2 bubbles every 3 seconds.

Questions:
1. Why do I still have algae growth?
2. How much excel should I use now that I'm running CO2
3. Do I leave the CO2 on all the time?

Your getting algae because your tank lighting/CO2/ferts aren't in balance. Plus you just added CO2 which is going to change things again. I can only run my big lights for 6 hours, no more or I begin to see algae. As for CO2 you don't run it at night when lights are off. And you really don't need to use Excel with your CO2 but it's okay if you want to.
Give your tank time with the CO2 and ferts and turn lights down to 6 hours and see over the next couple weeks if your algae is lessening.

Thank you. I reduced my lights to 6 hours/day and have turned off the CO2 for now. It's still set up, but I agree that it's just adding another variable.

I'm going to try to get the light/ferts/excel right before I add something else. Plus, I really don't have a way to turn the CO2 on and off with the lights. I'm at work when they come on.

Good news is that plants that I've added or have grown from bulbs along with new growth on existing plants look great since I originally reduced lights and started excel. The ferts are obviously helping, too. Today I added 3 clusters of giant hygro that looks great.

Okay, so I've reduce my lights to 6 hours a day. I've also added a lot of plants. My thought is that more plants in the tank will out-compete algae for nutrients. This make sense to me, I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong!

I continue to dose with micro and macro nutrients I bought from Green Leaf Aquariums.., 4mL of both each day. Also dosing about 8 mL of Excel daily.

Today, I turned of one of my 2 fixtures thinking it may help fight algae as well. Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not-I'd appreciate feedback. As a reminder, I have a total of 2 39W 6,000K and 2 39w 650 nm bulbs.

New pics

Attachments

• image-1997618572.jpg
    image-1997618572.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image-3877120752.jpg
    image-3877120752.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1683646790.jpg
    image-1683646790.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 53
Glad things are getting under control. Turning off one light is only necessary if your still having alot of algae issues. You can leave it off and see if it makes any difference and decide if you want it off permanently or not. And you are correct about adding more plants. More is better IMO.

Glad things are getting under control. Turning off one light is only necessary if your still having alot of algae issues. You can leave it off and see if it makes any difference and decide if you want it off permanently or not. And you are correct about adding more plants. More is better IMO.

It doesn't look like I'm getting "new" algae growth, but there is still algae on much of the hardscape. Will it go away as the plants out-compete it and the algae eaters eat it, or will I need to remove an clean?

I don't plan to add many new plants again soon. Much of what I added is expected to grow into nice big plants, so I will just use what I have for now, though there are some plants I really liked on aquaticplants.com. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that shipping. I selected about $25 worth of plants and shipping was going to $40!

I think I will go ahead and turn both lights back on since I've added so many plants. May help them get established.

Most algae with the exception of Green Spot algae will slowly disappear. But I still prefer to spot treat it and get it killed off right away.

Most algae with the exception of Green Spot algae will slowly disappear. But I still prefer to spot treat it and get it killed off right away.

SOunds good. I will continue to give it some time. But - when you say you "spot treat" - what do you mean? With such a small amount of excel going in (approximately 8 mL), how do you strategically treat a specific area without it being immediately diluted?

My questions are beginning to embarass even me!

By the way... something interesting is going on in the aquarium right now. My usually docile German blue rams are hanging out together more and more and the male has started flaring up and chasing other guys away. He looks like he's standing up to the kribensis, too. I wonder if anything is going on there...

You just get real close and squirt it around as best as you can. I've actually come to prefer using Hydrogen Peroxide to spot treat with. Both are going to dilute but they are getting squirted directly on the algae and believe it or not it works.

You draw up 2-3ml of Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to every 10 gallons of water in a needless syringe and directly squirt it on the algae. If using Peroxide you need to turn the lights and filters off for 15-20 minutes. Then after you turn your lights and filters back on if you use Peroxide you can then do your normal daily dose of Excel. Kind of a double whammy. But if you use Excel to spot treat that is you dose for the day. Another thing that can help overall is if you up your Excel dosage to 1ml every 5 gallons of water as your normal daily dose.

Sounds like your GBR's might be getting ready to spawn.

Our tank is finally beginning to look the way I hoped would! There are still traces of algae, but it is steadily melting away. I just recently cut back some plants and thinned a few areas out. I'm planning to let the foxtail grow nice and tall, then cut it back a little at a time to fill in the open areas in the back. That is a much better looking plant than I expected it to be. Check out the new pics.

Attachments

• image-3075638191.jpg
    image-3075638191.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image-4161119606.jpg
    image-4161119606.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image-1022030817.jpg
    image-1022030817.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3823139754.jpg
    image-3823139754.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-3360615506.jpg
    image-3360615506.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1531846881.jpg
    image-1531846881.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image-4074565528.jpg
    image-4074565528.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 36
Our tank is finally beginning to look the way I hoped would! There are still traces of algae, but it is steadily melting away. I just recently cut back some plants and thinned a few areas out. I'm planning to let the foxtail grow nice and tall, then cut it back a little at a time to fill in the open areas in the back. That is a much better looking plant than I expected it to be. Check out the new pics.

Is that a red melon in the front?

It's looking good btw.

Back
Top Bottom