advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaster999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all

wat are the best type of community tank fish to keep 2gether that will breed all the time other than live bearers

thanx

If you have fish that lay eggs, the other fish will probably eat them. My silver tips have tried to spawn, but the serpea tetras followed them around and ate everything :roll:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=175891&highlight=#175891
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=175881&highlight=#175881
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=175862&highlight=#175862
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=175866&highlight=#175866

okay I see a disturbing trend...and as I said in your one post..
and after seeing this one too I sniffed around....
I take a dim view on someone just wanting to breed willy nilly for some type of strange imagined gain. I think you need to research something; stick with it; raise it a while; THEN talk breeding!!!
but this wanting free fish in order to breed them.
As a former dog trainer, chow breeder and breeder of rare cats, I am a FIRM ENEMY of the backyard breeder and I wish to stomp them out regardless of the species they decided to misuse!! :evil:

yeah im w/ christmas fish on this one... this is looking a little shady. its looking like mr. jmaster is trying to make some money w/ his fish.

Good luck on making money. You are going to spend way more trying to breed them than you will ever make with them. I agree that you need to stick to one thing, raise them for a few years, then decide if you really want to try your hand at breeding them

wat the hell did i mentionanythink bout make money NO

so wat the hell u gettin involved for the reason i want them to breed is because i enjoy raisin the fry

so i dont no wer the hell raisin money comes in

any way ive had fish since i was 7 now im 16

so i think i no alot on fish

plus the fish that im up for breedin ive had for 3 years

jmaster, use of that language/tone is not acceptable on this site.
As a newbie, people have made some assumptions about you that were incorrect. However, you posted in multiple forums and were unclear as to how long you have had the fish and your reason for wanting to breed. Personally, I don't keep fish to breed them; although, I agree with you, that raising fry is a ton of fun.
Also, sometimes it is harder to take a member seriously when the grammar and spelling is poor. As a former teacher's assistant, I will admit for me, it is hard to read that type of post.
In any event, I am glad that you are taking care of your fish and are asking questions on the site.
As for a community egg laying fish, I cannot think of any. What other fish are in the community tank? How large is the tank?

i hav a 2 2ft tank but im gettin a 4ft soon

1 is a community tank an the others a tank for baby fish

i hav gouramis
silver dollars
a molly
a silver shark
a catfish
an a tire track eel

jmaster...

There are a number of egglayers that are relatively easy to breed if you give them the proper conditions. However...in a community tank the eggs are almost sure to be devoured well before they have a chance to hatch. Some relatively easy egglayers to breed are: Zebra Danios, most Anabantoids (gouramis, bettas, etc.), some tetras, Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs and many cichlids (the Convict cichlid comes to mind immediately...in fact sometimes it is hard to STOP them from breeding).

Keep in mind that you have to make some extra effort if you want any of the eggs to hatch, especially for the egg-scatterers like the danios, tetras and barbs. Because they defend their eggs, cichlids are sometimes able to spawn successfully in a community aquarium but once the fry have hatched and start to swim around the other fish usually pick them off. The same goes for most of the Anabantids.

If you really have your heart set on breeding fish then I recommend that you have a separate tank for breeding. There are a number of good references on techniques that have been used successfully in breeding egglayers.

Having kept convict cichlids, I would not recommend them for a community tank--when they get big and mature, they take over.
However, I that got me thinking of Kribs. They are about 3" or a bit bigger as adults and they are known for being good cichlid parents that will defend their eggs. However, like the convict, they will be aggressive when breeding and raising young, but overall, they are a more docile cichild.

Back
Top Bottom