Advise regarding my son's 10 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SportsNerd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have kept aquariums before with success, so I am not totally new to this. I just started a new fresh water 10 gallon aquarium for my son, and I would like to get some advice on how to keep going in the right direction. I did quite a bit of reading and research before I started, so none of this was done without
thought or consideration to all the options available. It would be great to have some additional guidance and advise on things to look out for.

As stated, the tank is 10g and has a 20g filter and a 10g air pump with a small bubbler. The tank has very good filtration and aeration. It was fitted with subtrate, a couple of small decorative artificial plants, and small rock cave-like formation.

The initial water test (tap) was N02 = 0, N03 = 0, PH = 7, no ammonia.

We allowed the filter to work for a couple days to settle the PH and temperature, and then used the appropriate doze of Prime. We let the Prime work for 24 hours. After that we used Tetra Safe Start, and about 30 minutes later we stocked the tank with three Black Skirt Tetras (BST). This is the exact procedure that is suggested by the Tetra Care team.

The BST's are very hardy according to all reports, and are among the best fish available to start an aquarium per the research that we did. Usually one would have done to start, but the fact that they are small, they are schooling fish, and that I am ready for quick water changes should the need arise made me feel confident about putting three in.

On the 3rd day with fish-in, the water tested at N02 = 0, N03 = > 20, PH = 6.5, and under 0.25 ppm or ammonia.

On the 8th day with fish-in the water tested at N02 = 0, N03 = > 20, PH = 7, ammonia about 0.25 ppm.

Today is day 10 with fish-in, day 13 overall.

We have been feeding the fish once a day. They have been fine, active, and do not seem stressed. According to the Tetra Safe Start instructions we should do our first water change on day 14 with fish in, and then proceed to add more fish if desired and commence weekly water changes.

Our plan is to add two more BST's because they are best kept in numbers of five or more, and then maybe some Halrequin Rasboras. The Rasboras reportedly do well with the BST's and although we would have to add five, according to AqAdvisor this will not overload the tank, taking it to 93% capacity (I know its an estimate).

The other thought would be to not go with the Rasboras, and add a Dwarf Gouramin instead. That would take the tank to 83% of capacity. However, my son is not crazy about the slow moving Gourami. Also, I did read one report about BST's nipping at Gourami's.

Anyway, how does our procedure, results, and plan sound so far to those of you who are experts out there?

All good and positive advise is welcome. Thanks!

Hello,

I have kept aquariums before with success, so I am not totally new to this. I just started a new fresh water 10 gallon aquarium for my son, and I would like to get some advice on how to keep going in the right direction. I did quite a bit of reading and research before I started, so none of this was done without
thought or consideration to all the options available. It would be great to have some additional guidance and advise on things to look out for.

As stated, the tank is 10g and has a 20g filter and a 10g air pump with a small bubbler. The tank has very good filtration and aeration. It was fitted with subtrate, a couple of small decorative artificial plants, and small rock cave-like formation.

The initial water test (tap) was N02 = 0, N03 = 0, PH = 7, no ammonia.

We allowed the filter to work for a couple days to settle the PH and temperature, and then used the appropriate doze of Prime. We let the Prime work for 24 hours. After that we used Tetra Safe Start, and about 30 minutes later we stocked the tank with three Black Skirt Tetras (BST). This is the exact procedure that is suggested by the Tetra Care team.

The BST's are very hardy according to all reports, and are among the best fish available to start an aquarium per the research that we did. Usually one would have done to start, but the fact that they are small, they are schooling fish, and that I am ready for quick water changes should the need arise made me feel confident about putting three in.

On the 3rd day with fish-in, the water tested at N02 = 0, N03 = > 20, PH = 6.5, and under 0.25 ppm or ammonia.

On the 8th day with fish-in the water tested at N02 = 0, N03 = > 20, PH = 7, ammonia about 0.25 ppm.

Today is day 10 with fish-in, day 13 overall.

We have been feeding the fish once a day. They have been fine, active, and do not seem stressed. According to the Tetra Safe Start instructions we should do our first water change on day 14 with fish in, and then proceed to add more fish if desired and commence weekly water changes.

Our plan is to add two more BST's because they are best kept in numbers of five or more, and then maybe some Halrequin Rasboras. The Rasboras reportedly do well with the BST's and although we would have to add five, according to AqAdvisor this will not overload the tank, taking it to 93% capacity (I know its an estimate).

The other thought would be to not go with the Rasboras, and add a Dwarf Gouramin instead. That would take the tank to 83% of capacity. However, my son is not crazy about the slow moving Gourami. Also, I did read one report about BST's nipping at Gourami's.

Anyway, how does our procedure, results, and plan sound so far to those of you who are experts out there?

All good and positive advise is welcome. Thanks!

It seems like a reasonable course of action, although in any tank I would highly suggest a weekly water change; especially in a tank that is showing ammonia.

It's a common practice to have a school of fish with a showpiece fish and it would be a nice thing in a tank that size. On the other hand fish should ideally be a multi year investment, so get what you really like now because if you aren't crazy about it now you probably really wont be crazy about it later. Also, if you are willing to do the work to keep up with the water quality; it shouldn't be an issue to take the AQadvisor stocking up to 120%

What are you using to test the water?

Personally I would wait until the tank is completely cycled; 0 ammonia & nitrites, <20 nitrates for at least a week. Then I would add just a few fish every 2-3 weeks until fully stocked. This will allow the BB to adjust to the new bio load.

It seems like a reasonable course of action, although in any tank I would highly suggest a weekly water change; especially in a tank that is showing ammonia.

It's a common practice to have a school of fish with a showpiece fish and it would be a nice thing in a tank that size. On the other hand fish should ideally be a multi year investment, so get what you really like now because if you aren't crazy about it now you probably really wont be crazy about it later. Also, if you are willing to do the work to keep up with the water quality; it shouldn't be an issue to take the AQadvisor stocking up to 120%

What are you using to test the water?

API to test the water.

I agree on the weekly water change, and that is what I will do after the initial two week period. I m holding off for two weeks because I found a piece written by the Tetra Safe Start care team saying that after using TSS to start an aquarium their recommendation is no water changes for two weeks unless you get an unacceptable spike. That has not happened to me as of day 10.

I am hoping that others who have used TSS will offer their comments and results.

I am accustomed to water changes having kept goldfish before. I did weekly 25% to 50% depending on the water quality. I also know what happens to the fish if you don't follow up. Besides, I got lazy with them once and got a black algae bloom.

As for stocking this tank, the difference in suggested water changes if I stock with 5 Black Skirt Tetras and 5 Harlequin Rasboras (27%), or 5 BST's and 1 Dwarf Gourami (22%) is so minimal that it really comes down to compatibility, preference, aesthetics, and other maintenance issues. With 5 Rasboras I will probably have to vacuum the subtrate much more often, don't you think?

As I stated before, my son prefers the Rasboras. I am open to comments on the other criteria.

Hi! You're off to a great start so far!

Personally I'd recommend a honey gourami, as they're very peaceful and stay a bit smaller than DGs. I'm also one of those that thinks schooling fish deserve a little more room than a 10g, so IMO I'd stick to just one school in the ten. To be completely honest I'd return the black skirts and go with the rasboras, as in my experience the black skirts have been a little nippy with my other fish. You could also do some ghost shrimp and maybe a snail or two as well.

Something like 6-8 H. Rasboras, 1 honey gourami, 3-4 ghost shrimp, 1-2 nerite snails would be a great stock.

Regardless of what you end up getting I'd aim to gravel vac once a week when you do your weekly 40%-50% water change.

Best of luck! :)

Personally I would wait until the tank is completely cycled; 0 ammonia & nitrites, <20 nitrates for at least a week. Then I would add just a few fish every 2-3 weeks until fully stocked. This will allow the BB to adjust to the new bio load.

I think your advise is sound. I just did a test and my results were; 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, and just under 20 in Nitrates. Since this is just day 10 with the TSS+fish, and since the cycle has not been a classic one, I am not sure all this will hold, I hope it does. Nevertheless, I'm still going to wait a week before adding more fish.

I have read about others who have cycled in 7-10 days using TSS. One person on this DB who took much longer to cycle using TSS says he had a problem keeping the Ammonia down in the first few weeks and had to do daily water changes. He says he never saw a trace of Nitrites during the cycle.

I have had no Ammonia spikes, but I also haven't seen Nitrites. Then a slight trace of Nitrates showed up. Hmmm. I assume the Nitrates will now build and that is why TSS suggests starting the water changes at 2 weeks.

For whatever its worth, one thing I know is that I have heeded the TSS advise to the letter. The bottle instructions are very poor, and you have to seek out additional guidance which is available on-line if you look hard. I have noticed that some who have had trouble using TSS have deviated from, or not known the proper procedures. There is also the difference in water supplies from city to city that may account for different experiences and results. Who knows?

Here are the TSS instructions that the Tetra care team suggests if anyone is interested:

-Fill tank, run filter and wait 2 days
-Use Prime and wait 24 hours
-Put in TSS and then a fish within an hour (TSS bacteria will die in 2 hours without fish waste to feed on. Pure ammonia is not recommended. TSS is for a fish-in cycle).
-Feed fish once a day
-Do not conduct water changes for 2 weeks unless the Ammonia spikes
-Conduct a partial water change on day 14
-Conduct weekly partial water changes thereafter

Hi! You're off to a great start so far!

Personally I'd recommend a honey gourami, as they're very peaceful and stay a bit smaller than DGs. I'm also one of those that thinks schooling fish deserve a little more room than a 10g, so IMO I'd stick to just one school in the ten. To be completely honest I'd return the black skirts and go with the rasboras, as in my experience the black skirts have been a little nippy with my other fish. You could also do some ghost shrimp and maybe a snail or two as well.

Something like 6-8 H. Rasboras, 1 honey gourami, 3-4 ghost shrimp, 1-2 nerite snails would be a great stock.

Regardless of what you end up getting I'd aim to gravel vac once a week when you do your weekly 40%-50% water change.

Best of luck! :)

That is a really nice suggestion for stocking. I can't take the BST's back though, PetSmart won't do that. It also seems a shame to go there after asking them to do the heavy lifting of helping to start the tank. Also, I'm not sure I want to change them out anyway. They are active, seem to have character, and are hardy and low maintenance. I think they will provide entertainment for my son.

I have been doing lots of reading about tank mates for the BTS's in a 10g environment. I also found a pretty cool compatibility tool. See the link below. The tool tells me that a good match would be 6 BST's and a Dwarf Gourami. I considered this but I have read that many Dwarf Gouramis cary a virus that kills them and spreads to the other fish.

I am now considering a Red Wag Platy or a Sunburst Platy. They are also very compatible with the BST's and their colors would really pop against the BST's.

Do you think if I add Ghost Shrimp that the Tetras will eat them?

Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match

Back
Top Bottom