Affordable live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to setup my snowflake moray eel tank but all my local fish store charge about 12 dollars a pound and the rocks they have are huge. Is there a site that sells affordable live rock? Also how many lbs do i need for a 40 gallon breeder

Minimum is 1 pound per gallon, preferably more. I have close to 17 pounds in my 10g nano.

I believe BulkReefSupply sells cheaper than that. If this is a new tank that needs to be cycles just buy a bunch of dry rock, it will cure during the cycle. You can get like 5-10 pounds of live just as kick start.

Big rocks=sledgehammer:)

Caleb

What is dry rock actually TBH this is my first saltwater tank lol

What is dry rock actually TBH this is my first saltwater tank lol

Dry rock is exactly what the name suggests. It is rock (native to reefs) that has dried out and no longer holds bacteria on it. While your tank is in cycling, bacteria will begin to grow on the rock. You may also have some bacteria die. This process is known as curing.

Caleb

Dry rock is exactly what the name suggests. It is rock (native to reefs) that has dried out and no longer holds bacteria on it. While your tank is in cycling, bacteria will begin to grow on the rock. You may also have some bacteria die. This process is known as curing.

Caleb

oh :D thanks cool guy you're a cool dude and i'm going to assume that cycling a saltwater tank is the same as freshwater

You don't even need any live rock. You can save your money for a skimmer to put on your system since eels are such sloppy eaters.
And cycling is easy, put a cocktail shrimp into some old pantyhose and let it rot in there. Much easier than using pure ammonia IMO.

You don't even need any live rock. You can save your money for a skimmer to put on your system since eels are such sloppy eaters.
And cycling is easy, put a cocktail shrimp into some old pantyhose and let it rot in there. Much easier than using pure ammonia IMO.

I was told that having rocks would make the moral eel feel more secure so I think i might go with the rock too

Correct. They are hiders but are also escape artists. I had one for a very short period of time and it was one hard bugger to catch. I watched him jump into different tanks at my LFS. So make sure it is very secure.

Back
Top Bottom