African Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willeyeam313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My dad has a 37G tall tank with about 9-11 African lake mbuna cichlids. They are ripping each other apart so we added new ornaments and plants trying to mix things up and that only worked for about a week. We have rearranged this tank tons of times trying to calm then down and nothing helps. Do I need more fish? Less stuff on te tank? Less fish? Idk what to do but his fish are stressing me out!

Your dad needs a new tank.

Tank length is essential with african cichlid set ups and is more important than tank height. The 37gal 'tall' has insufficient tank length and that increases aggression.

Assuming the african cichlids in question are mbuna's, the tank volume is also insufficient (55gal, 48" tank length minimum for keeping these types of fish, 75gal-90gal highly recommended): more tank length, more tank volume is a big part of the solution.

If kept in the current tank the aggression will continue and even escalate as the cichlids mature. I'm assuming they're sub-adults because full grown mbuna's would have thinned the population by now via aggression.

Exactly what I thought. Could any good number of mbunas survive in that tank or should I suggest maybe a smaller cichlid breed or different fish all together?

Mbuna's are definately incompatible with that type of tank for the long haul.

I would suggest stocking fish that are compatible with such a tank.

I've never kept shell dwellers (small lake tanganyika african cichlids). They're suited for smaller tanks, but I'm not sure if the importance of tank length applies to them as well.

Ok great thanks for the help. I'll do some more research on some smaller cichlids that could stay in there. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom