African cichild... worried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reberly

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have two african cichlids, a blue and a red zebra. Bluey is doing great but we noticed today that the red zebra has almost stopped using his right side fin. I don't know what the name of that fin is, but it comes out from the side of his body, right by the gills. It doesn't appear to be torn or damaged at all, he just seems to have problems using it. This is a recent development, he looked great for the past week or so. He also has a few black flecks on his tailfin, only on one side. They're both eating well and do not appear to be otherwise stressed. Could he have damaged his fin by bumping into something sharp in the tank? We're kinda worried cause these fish are quickly becoming excellent pets. They've dug some caves and are very friendly to each other.

Ryan

Is the fish swimming sideways kind of? does it look like it is struggling when swimming? The fact that your fish is still eating is a good sign...most likely the fin has some kind of damage...keep an eye on the fin for any sign of swelling or rotting...if the fin is in fact damaged you should add stress coat and keep the water as clean as you can by doing small water changes.

Hope your fish recovers.

No, he still seems to swim fine and he WILL use it occasionally. He's very timid, he darts in his cave whenever he sees someone in the room move near the tank. I'll add stress coat and do a water change tomorrow. nitrites are a touch high.

Ryan

No, he still seems to swim fine and he WILL use it occasionally. He's very timid, he darts in his cave whenever he sees someone in the room move near the tank. I'll add stress coat and do a water change tomorrow. nitrites are a touch high.

Ryan

Just an update, today the red zebra seems to be trying to use the fin normally but it's definitely missing a chunk out of it. Will this grow back? He seems more active today and he's still eating voraciously.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom