African Cichlid new tank syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimzodisaster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ian new to this and tried starting a cichlids tank without awareness of the nitrogen cycle... Noob fail, I guess.
Anyway here is a history of my 30 gallon tank:
1.5 months ago: filled my tank, tested water, and conditioned. Didn't do fish less cycling cause I didn't know better, although I did use some stresszyme and bacteria colony bottle... Bet those bacteria died because the tank was too clean with no ammonia on which to feed

1 month ago: added 3 small African cichlids. Didn't ever test water.

image-2578943525.jpg

2 weeks ago: added 5 more small African Cichlids and watched them readjust their dominance behaviors for a couple of days.

5 days ago: The formerly dominant fish is now sulking in the sandy bottom beneath a shelf of quartz rock. Hmmm stress from being top fish to the bottom? Orrrr .... Tested water: ph 7.8 ammonia: :0.25 nitrites: 5 ppm or higher, 0 nitrates.

The last 5 days: Discovered the nitrogen cycle. Proceeded to do daily 25-50% water changes with Prime conditioner, which also detoxifies nitrites, some API stresszyme, and a bit of aquarium salt to protect the fish from the nitrites.. Also have limited feedings to every other day.

Nitrites are staying stubbornly high. Ammonia seems to be alternating between 0 and 0.25. Saw Nitrates for the first time yesterday, approaching 20 ppm this morning, but nitrites still really high, and ammonia is 0.25....so now I have all three in the tank.

Is this tank on the right track? Advice? Thanks everyone!
-Nimzo

Sorry to hear about that, but the good news is nature works everything out. I did the same on my first tank and everything is good. It's going to take a few weeks for your tank to build up enough beneficial bacteria to detox the ammonia so I would cut my water changes down to weekly. Any more and you remove the bacteria you need to balance things out and lengthen the process. As long as the fish are not acting stressed then I wouldn't worry. I bought a water primer from Petco called Prime it removes the ammonia and will detox the nitrites and nitrates for you. Test your water a couple of times per day and if the ammonia and nitrites begin to creep to a level that becomes dangerous then add the recommended amount of the Prime to your tank, and it doesn't have to be that product...any one that will detox will work. I only had to add it once and I didn't lose a fish. Hope this helped.

I'm happy that there are nitrates, which means that some conversion of nitrites is happening. Not sure why ammonia hasn't dropped all the way though.

I know that the water changes reduce the amount of bacteria present but it should also reduce nitrites. I am being careful to not disturb the substrate.

The bacteria is the only things that will naturally break down the ammonia. It takes a while to get a colony large enough to process the amonia that the fish are producing. I think your going to be fine..just keep watching the fish for signs of stress

Strongly recommend you buy Seachem Stability and start using also, it will help things along - I have used it for ages and it does the job. It should help reduce any spikes you may encounter and help with any toxic stress the fish are having - use daily for a week or in conjunction with water changes.

Strongly recommend you buy Seachem Stability and start using also, it will help things along - I have used it for ages and it does the job. It should help reduce any spikes you may encounter and help with any toxic stress the fish are having - use daily for a week or in conjunction with water changes.

I have the Seachem Prime and have been really happy with it. What does the Stability do?

I have the Seachem Prime and have been really happy with it. What does the Stability do?

Stability is Bacterial supplement used in establishing your BB.

I use it Have not lost a fish (due to "new Tank syndrome") since.

Seachem. Stability

read up on it...there are a lot of naysayers but for me I use nothing else but Seachem.

Update: Nitrites still high, ammonia at .25, nitrAtes present..when will the cycle end!?!

Well, I use Prime water conditioner every other day with a 25% water change to ameliorate the high nitrites (and chlorine)

They appear fine. The one that was sulking has stopped...still I've heard that for some fish there aren't visible signs of nitrite related illness. They are somewhat protected from the nitrites because of the pH, the aquarium salt, and Prime conditioner.

I think you're going to be fine...if ammonia has been elevated that long its just a matter of time for the bacteria to kick in and do it's job..Prime should not kill your bacteria.

What species of Cichlid did you go with...my 55 is almost finished cycling..hopefully... and I'm think of doing all Mbuna's.

It took me almost 2 months to fish-in cycle my 20gal. If you keep up on your water changes and prime, there is nothing wrong with fish in. I am in the middle of a fishless in my 90 gal. right now. I'll be honest...I liked seeing fish in the tank better! Sounds like your cycle is comming along. I had ammonia and nitrites along with nitrates in my 20....did a 50% wc and a week later....BAM, she was done cycleing ... Went out and put 4 more fish in and no problems yet! Patients my friend. You sound like your doing just fine(y)

I'm don't recall the particulars being my first real tank other than my kids gold fish RIP

image-256688342.jpg

image-3445114024.jpg

image-1225531046.jpg

RedNeck said:
It took me almost 2 months to fish-in cycle my 20gal. If you keep up on your water changes and prime, there is nothing wrong with fish in. I am in the middle of a fishless in my 90 gal. right now. I'll be honest...I liked seeing fish in the tank better! Sounds like your cycle is comming along. I had ammonia and nitrites along with nitrates in my 20....did a 50% wc and a week later....BAM, she was done cycleing ... Went out and put 4 more fish in and no problems yet! Patients my friend. You sound like your doing just fine(y)

Cool. I've been getting discouraged..but I've been working from home this week and I started obsessing

Back
Top Bottom